The new Altec 604-8H III, 212-8A Impressions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PRs are for when you need a long (acoustically massive) vent as is required with low Vas/small cabs tuned low, so if you did use a PR it would be in the form of a high Vas driver sans motor ($$$), ergo a waste of $$$. If you want to tune an Altec really low, a TQWT would be a better choice.

GM

Thanks for the info Chris re GPA...

Thanks GM, that's good to know... When I get this project going which is months off still, I was wondering if you would be willing to help me out with a design once I can supply all the variables etc?.. I'm not a rich man by any means but would be most willing to offer you some payment for your help.. So far I guess the cab that has me interested the most is the 6moons inspired cab from the Serious build, also the Bill Fort one is nice too.. I may end up going for the 212 driver though so it's all up in the air at this time... If your not wanting to do this kind of thing then that's ok also, just thought I'd ask as they say,''The squeaky wheel gets the grease'' :D Also maybe all it would take is to mod an existing cab or start from scratch in the case of the 212 driver? I don't know...

Dave:)

DaveCan said:

Thanks GM, that's good to know... I was wondering if you would be willing to help me out with a design once I can supply all the variables etc?..

So far I guess the cab that has me interested the most is the 6moons inspired cab from the Serious build.......

I may end up going for the 212 driver.........

You're welcome!

No problem if I'm still active on the forums.

That cab is a 'thorn in my side', but I still have my notes on it if it's what you want to build, though no drawings. Those you'd have to get from Jay Fisher. Note that it was designed for a mid wall location, though it could be tuned lower for corner placement.

The 212 ideally needs its own design with the understanding that short of some form of corner loading its lower tuning cut off is ~36 Hz due to its ~high Fs, so for organ symphonies, HT and any music soundtracks with LFE, they need a sub system.

GM

Awesome GM, and here's to hoping you'll still be on the forums by then:cheers:

Subs for the 212 could be ok, I was thinking on trying out IB subs at some point if the new place provides the opportunity use them..

The 212 interests me because it's a bit cheaper and the cab could be a tad smaller I think? But then again if I need to add subs, then that increases the overall price anyway.. I'd like to go with the 604 also because it's a renowned and highly regarded driver with some cab designs already in place..

Could it be possible, or maybe even a good goal to have a cab that is tuned for corner loading, and also tuned for non corner placement by closing off the corner placement vent(s)? Then that way the cab could still perform at it's best depending on if it's in a corner, out from the corner and wall, or against the wall etc...

I got an e-mail back now.. They have been really busy and haven't been able to get the new spec sheet put on the site for the new 604-8H III yet.. Price including X-overs is $950 for the 604 and $540 for the 212...

He said that the 212 loaded into a 4.5f3 (internal) box obtains very near the low frequency (f3) as that of the 604-8H III loaded in a 6f3 (internal) box.. Me thinks I should try and gather as much info as I can on the 212 up till purchase day, plus I like the $$$ much better:cool:

Well, it's all about what you'll drive them with and how much gain BW you want from them. I mean the dynamic headroom of the 604 in the mid-bass ~drowns out the 212, so unless you're using flea power, then sealing off the 212 and XOing around 80 Hz to a sub system of several relatively small tapped horns seems the better choice. Even then, tubes to the 212 and SS to the THs should rock your world and while it wouldn't get you to front row center at the Boston Pops, you'd only be a few rows back. ;)

GM

Once I know what my room will be like, then for either the 212 or 604, I'd want to give them a cab that would produce the best sq for them overall that I could etc.. My amp is a Decware Taboo 6wrms SEP, source by then will be a modest blu-ray player.. I already have a Reckhorn sub amp that I was thinking on using with a quad of the AE IB 15'' subs(if the place can support that idea), heard lots of good stuff on them.. I listen at low to moderate volumes for hearings sake but sometimes hit the gas..

I guess thats about it till I get re-settled and know what the new room is like ,and hopefully by then I'll know better as to either the 604 or 212 for my purchase.. I wish I had the house on the market sooner that's for sure, not much going on right now here so it's hurry up and wait.. Can't even build a set of cabs as I have a 6000km+ journey to undertake when I make the big move... Dave:)

davecan,

I just emailed GPA about the pricing of their drivers, then stumbled across this thread.

I was thinking about building a 4pi speaker designed by pispeakers (B&C de250 with JBL2226H) but ran across a thread which prompted me to google GPA.

I'm thinking the 212-8a might be an alternative, I think I could make the cabinet a little taller and narrower than the 4pi which I'd like, I don't listen to Opera or use the system for HT so super low bass extension isn't a big deal...

Also, I'm using a Decware Taboo amp and an SE84CSP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.