Lowther DX3 in a BIB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm proud, just finished them.
Inspired by Gnugear for being the FIRST!!
And Martin King for the BSC.
Designeed and tweaked a notch myself.

pic of both bib's in my listening room.

Attachments

• 2x bib in listening room.jpg
    2x bib in listening room.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 858
compared to a horn ?

Hello,

Your BIB looks greats !

Did you compared your BIB with a back loaded horn or other designs using lowther ?

I currently have a BLH (MAUHORN iv) with lowther EX3. I also have a pair of PM2A (need reconing though) that I don't use and I was wondering if the simple design of a BIB would be an interesting experience or not for this driver.

Thanks !

Guillaume

Hello,

After all some reaction.

To Godzilla ;
It was "design-week" , over here in the Netherlands , so I try to do my best. Most of the time my constructions are raw ply or MDF.
When I finish speakers this way, at least , I believe in the sound potential.
Did some experiments with coloured board, that I put on the right place to see what the results were, before I deceided on the real colour for the wood.
My wife is happy with the results!!
Bass is good enough for my taste, after a BSC ( my speakers are "free sanding") at the moment : R=12 , L=3,9.
Bass is not "bloathed" perhaps a bit shy, but with a lot of detail.
I will try R=15 and R=22, for a little more bass , in the near future ( don't have them on the shelf).
If I need more bass , there is an active sub in the room, 4e order band-pass, compound 2x15 inch , 25-80 Hz.
Combination doesn't sound right, I think some people would call it "smearing"??
I, also couln't get used to the rising lowther response. So I do use a notch. Tweaked by ear.
In my listening room R=5,7 , L=0,1 and C =3,8 is ,for the moment, the right combination.
I have enough power with a 2x 3 Watt SE EL84 tube amp.

To Hornophile ;
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to listen to other designs over here. So building this BIB was a bit of a gamble.
Only thing to say is that I dont regret my decision!!
I enjoy the sound a lot(and everybody who hears them as well).
I build some fostex horns before (are sold), but from memory i can say that the sound from a BIB is , not completely the same, but as enjoyable as a horn.
Maybe I will, in the far future, do some "Sachiko's". Or......

Last remark : If for any reason , you can lay your hands on some lowthers , BUY them , they are worth every penny !!
I am building speakers for more then 40 years and couln't imagine that a unit was able to such a detial!!
It takes me into the sound stage, as if I was there.

The BIB is a "good" design , but If there is more in the lowthers, I will keep searching.
It took 5 days to build an finish them, they need 2 more coatings.
For this small amount of time the results are superb!!

Bert (Doppenberg) said something about an "Alfredo"-Horn, that would be worth to build ??

Who know's ??

Just one point: remember the BIB is a corner horn. It will not give all the gain it is supposed to if it is positioned away from corners or at least a wall (which also removes any need for compensation circuitry).

Quick illustration: some rough measurements a builder (sorry -can't remember who it was, but I saved the graphs in case of need) took of these cabinets in corners, a little way out from corners, and pulled well out into the room.

Attachments

• bib-response.gif
    bib-response.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 467
My listening experience supports the charts Scott posted. You immediately hear the contribution of corner loading BIBs. Pull them out of the corners and bass diminishes... just like in the chart. I do not hear any peaks or dips in bass response with my BIBs. Not that the response will be smooth as glass, but nothing sticks out or sounds incorrect when positioned properly. Those charts may reflect something in the room or something else but the overall trend, i think is correct.

Godzilla

I placed the BIB's closer to the side walls and there was more bass!!
Question?? Scott, Godzilla , The closer the better??
The best I can do is 100 cm to the back wall and 40 cm to the side wall. This after a complete rearrangemant of the room.
For this moment the place is 160cm and 65 cm.

Perhaps I can put them upside down (floorloading) ??

any suggestions ?

Within reason, the closer you move them into the corners or against a wall the greater the coupling. There's no hard & fast rule, so you'll have to experiment, but at the end, you should be able to loose the passive circuit.

Re inverted types, that's a good way forward with smaller drivers / a higher tuning frequency, or if your ceiling is too high to allow effective coupling (sounds like yours is fine though). The potential downside is that there's more in the way on the floor than the ceiling, so it's a case of whichever compromise you personally find works for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.