Who has experience with a 3" driver in a BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I built a BiB for my Hi-Vi B3n drivers this summer, just to see how BiB performs. I have to say I was surprised by the overall performance. Even though B3N sounds little bit metallic in the highs, the lower end was solid, for a Fs 70hz driver. If I recall right I used BiB calculator from Zillaspeak website.

Give it a shot, you won't be dissapointed.

--
Tuomas

Here it is, posing. Sexy prototype...

Attachments

• kaju.jpeg
    kaju.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 528
Brisso57 said:
I see on the zillaspeak site there is a design for a Tang Band 3" (W3-871S) driver:

Can anyone comment?

Thanks

Doug

I have built a pair of BIB from the W3-871S. I built the full scale (non-folded version per Scottmoose's suggestion).

The sound is not "massive" bass but surprisingly good. It is now sitting and being used daily by a relative, and she loves the uniqueness of style and color.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

kristleifur said:
Great thread

– Can anyone compare a 3" BiB to Needles, TABAQs or other similar 3" TL designs?

I have built Needles with the same driver, with the BSC circuit. Unfortunately I did not have chance to compare them side to side.

Design and size suggests BIB should have had more extension of bass... For general music (non rock) should suffice, for HT use subwoofer is needed for both.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

gychang

Beautiful needles, gychang

I found driver excursion to be a limiting factor in the Needles, when playing bass notes.
My main question is this: Would the bib have more or less excursion limitations?

I.e. does the BIB design allow the driver to "spend" less excursion to get the same amount of bass, at around, I dunno, maybe 80Hz and down? (Wherever it is that the Needle is most excursion-limited.)

GM said:
Even if you mount it on the side?

GM
The driver is approx 3" deep for a 3" diameter!
I don't have any TS data yet, but allowing that the dimensions may be similar to the TB, say 5" x 4.5", either orientation is a "tight fit".
??

cheers
Doug

PS Can you explain your comment about needing "floor loading"? (on the BIB site) The cabinet is ~34" high and top-vented.
??

Attachments

• doug2.jpg
    doug2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 333
A BIB should have more gain: it's a horn, not a TL, or mass loaded horn. However, excursion is still an issue, as with any cabinet. There's a limit how much you can squeeze out of small drivers. Don't be too ambitious is my advice & tune a little higher than expected. Note too, the downward-firing type will likely be better for high Fs drivers, so you get better coupling to the room.

Re: Re: Who has experience with a 3" driver in a BIB?

gychang said:

I have built a pair of BIB from the W3-871S. I built the full scale (non-folded version per Scottmoose's suggestion).

The sound is not "massive" bass but surprisingly good. It is now sitting and being used daily by a relative, and she loves the uniqueness of style and color.

gychang

Mr. Chang,

Do you have the website? I'm a little confused as to what the dimensions are. How high is the driver from the floor? The reason I ask is that I've got several of the 871's and I'd like to use them for gift speakers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Brisso57 said:

PS Can you explain your comment about needing "floor loading"? (on the BIB site) The cabinet is ~34" high and top-vented.
??

As Scott implied, a simple horn can only control the driver through acoustic mass loading and since the higher Fs drivers have less axial length they can't take sufficient advantage of ceiling loading except possibly unfolded, so flipping them upside down and spacing them off the floor to suit is the next best thing to limiting excursion down low.

GM

planet10 said:

I've seen those before.. aren't they a nominal 4" driver (3" actual cone)?

dave

4" across the square frame.
3" from edge to edge of the paper cone.

& yes Dave. I did e-mail you a picture seeking advice or id of the possible linage. :)

In a day or so my second pair should arrive. I'm considering trying a quick prototype of a BIB, but what I had first thought of was a version of a BD Pipe.

cheers

Doug

MisterTwister said:
though for me it's hard to see benefit of such big bib enclosures.

Believe me, these are small pipe horns. Many who prefer to run FR drivers unsupported find them preferable to smaller box type cabinets.

with the same space taken, front loaded horn can be built and rest of the space filled with bass drivers.

Are you entirely sure about that? ;) An unfolded FLH will likely have a substantially larger footprint than one of these simple BL conical horns, if you're going to keep the XO point out of our critical hearing BW, plus of course, the additional space for woofers. Not disputing the quality of the FH + woofers, but I very much doubt it'd be smaller in terms of the space it takes up, except in terms of height.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.