MJK’s Jordan JX92S OB with a Goldwood GW-1858 Woofer in an H Frame - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2010, 12:42 AM   #451
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
I have both the Alpair 7 and the 12. The most important thing I have learned is to believe what Mark says about them needing over 200 hours to break in. At first, I preferred the 7's over the 12's as the 12's actually seemed a bit bright. Now that they are broken in, the 7's seem a bit thin and the 12's sound awesome.

Not a scientific measurement, just an opinion, the 12's sound a bit more detailed and a bit fuller than the Jordan's. However, again, I look forward to having my AR amp back and having time to do some serious comparisons. That means building an OB for the Jordan's so I am really comparing OB to OB instead of to the Jim Griffin design. Bottom line is that I have no regrets about buying the Alpairs once they broke in.

You can see pictures at AZDIY2009 Detail Photos

Craig
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:12 AM   #452
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Thanks for the picture link. The speaker look great. I'll have to think about adding the Alpair 7 and 12 to my collection
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:32 AM   #453
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Very nice, wish i was there.

The baffle for Alpair 12 is smaller than original MJK design for Jordan's. Any reason for the change?

cheers
Henry
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:10 AM   #454
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
Quote:
Originally Posted by _henry_ View Post
Very nice, wish i was there.

The baffle for Alpair 12 is smaller than original MJK design for Jordan's. Any reason for the change?

cheers
Henry
Available wood. I threw them together in a hurry. Interesting you should ask as I have since added 4 inches on one (out) side and 3 inches on the other (in) side of the Alpair 12 OB with an increase in detail. Don't know for sure if it was adding width or just the break in, but the added width did seem to help.
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:28 AM   #455
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Interesting, maybe the highs drop down so u can hear more detail in mid freq.

I have Alpair 10FR in GM's ML-TL (slightly undersize), and Alpair 10 bass + Alpair 5 waiting to have a house.

I saw this thread 2months ago, which was very intersting, since i always want a clean low bass.

Im trying to figure out which woofer can do. So far the available would be PA audio from thailand which have qts about 0.7

Cheers
henry
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:41 AM   #456
ecir38 is offline ecir38  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
A modular OB that can take the different driver combinations may be my next build.
Daryll Hawthorne has come out with what he call the Stackables that is a very elegant modular design. I 've been fortunate to try the beta duet at my house for a week which was a treat for a differant perspective for an OB other than yours that didn't disappoint.

Hawthorne Audio • View topic - Stackable

In the pics you can see how a driver is mounted to a baffle then bolted to the back of the stackable and can also be somewhat isolated. From you past comments on your carpenter skills a similiar idea for testing wouldn't be too far out.

Brad
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:06 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayenc View Post
I have both the Alpair 7 and the 12. The most important thing I have learned is to believe what Mark says about them needing over 200 hours to break in. At first, I preferred the 7's over the 12's as the 12's actually seemed a bit bright. Now that they are broken in, the 7's seem a bit thin and the 12's sound awesome.

Not a scientific measurement, just an opinion, the 12's sound a bit more detailed and a bit fuller than the Jordan's. However, again, I look forward to having my AR amp back and having time to do some serious comparisons. That means building an OB for the Jordan's so I am really comparing OB to OB instead of to the Jim Griffin design. Bottom line is that I have no regrets about buying the Alpairs once they broke in.

You can see pictures at AZDIY2009 Detail Photos

Craig

I totally agree as my Alpair 12 has over 300 hours on and I love them more and more. I could never imagine it sounds so sweet and rich. I suppose to have my report submitted after 300 hours as promised, but I forgot to start writing anything when the system is on. What I need now is a little bit more air at the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 2 2010 003.JPG (515.6 KB, 1130 views)
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:25 PM   #458
diyAudio Member

albertli :

Very nicely shaped top baffles.
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:29 PM   #459
diyAudio Member

albertli, funny to see your Goldwood H-frames with OB Alpairs. I have Alpha H-frames with (at the moment anyway) Tangband w8-1808s... i also have unused BIBs but behind the listening spot. If you ever go back to the BIBs you will see they do have compelling qualities too. But currently I am enjoying these relatively modest costing open baffle systems that really cost very little in comparison to the electronics used to power them. I also agree, your pleasantly shaped baffles have a nice organic look compared to the rigidly angular rectangles that adorn my room. Enjoy!

Godzilla
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:37 PM   #460
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir38 View Post
In the pics you can see how a driver is mounted to a baffle then bolted to the back of the stackable and can also be somewhat isolated. From you past comments on your carpenter skills a similiar idea for testing wouldn't be too far out.
Brad,

I have considered that type of construction for a few months. The number of combinations I could try is amazing, many months of fun. Thanks for the link. I had not seen the modular construction actually accomplished before, it looks like a great approach. I will study the pictures and see what I can design to take advantage of my driver collection.

Thanks for the heads up,

Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!