fe127e bipoles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here is a sim of what is expected for 2 FE127 in a 20 litre sealed box -- top curve is using average of over 100 FE127s measured in-house, bottom curve is with the factory data

dave

Attachments

• sealedfe127-sim.gif
    sealedfe127-sim.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 281
Re: Re: Re: fe127e bipoles

Scribble said:
By good bass i mean i was expecting very weak or a good lack of bass. Except i was pleasantly surprised to hear firm bass when sitting (drivers at ear level). I do plan on building a pair of 10" sealed subs to accompany them though, once i have built a stereo BPA-300 to run them.

Again with the room placement, at the moment they are in a less then ideal place. Behind them is a glass sliding door which i have hung a fairly thick blanket from the top to cover it.

Also what i was saying about one speaker being quieter then the other, i found it was the cable running to the speaker was causing this. After trying different sources and different amp combinations i swapped the cables over to discover the "quietness" transfered with it. So i think i will make some new cables up once i have finished my new Aleph.

My sims are close to what Dave has shown, -3db@100Hz. This is a much higer Q driver than the datasheet indicates. Bass measures a bit better in room. Bass that is present is very nice and these blend well with a sub. Bipole provides better off axis and better soundstage, but imaging is not as good as a monopole.

My measurements show a small hole at 2kHz and a large peak at 7-8kHz that can be/is annoying (granted these are inexpensive drivers). A notch or active eq works well in addressing this and allows you to tune them to your likings. I have also had success toeing them in and toeing out a super T. Plus there are a lot of mods said to address this.

Room changes can be done fairly quick and I found they can have a bigger impact than much more time consuming and expensive changes.

I finished mine with paint. Looks better than the MDF, but I could not find a way to make the seams disappear. So keep that in mind if that sort of detail will bother you. Perhaps a thick paint would hide the imperfections.

Cheers

Well after pulling them forward to 3ft and hanging a blanket on the wall behind me to stop an annoying reflection, they sounded much more like i thought they should. Lost some of the bass i was refering to before, but the gain was worth it.

Then i powered them from by newly running Aleph 30, Wow! :bigeyes: is all i can say. Night and day differance from the other 2 amps i tried. They now sound more balanced from left to right and imaging has improved (i know that's not what these speakers are trying to achieve). The sound also seems much more... i dont know... full? deep? powerful?.

I've got about 50 hours of music playing on them now and they are definitely sounding more musical with time.

Here is a pic of the amp in all it's current dodgy glory. Need to get the the blokes at work to make up some panels for it, so i can case it. The other heatsink with the 5 bridges on it is my dodgy voltage dropper until i get some inductors in to pull down the rails a bit.

Thanks for all the help!

alp30.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.