What cabinet for lowther A45?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gluca said:
OK, I don't like back horns.

They're designed for back loaded horns.

If you must put them in something else, a simple MLTL should do the job OK in a small space & moderate volumes.

34in line
CSA = 43.5in^2
Zdriver 12.5in
Zvent 32in
Vent 2in diameter x 2in long. Stuff 0.45lbs ft^3 top 20in or line top, back & one side-wall.

Attachments

• a45 mltl.gif
    a45 mltl.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 278
Other options

Hi Gianluco

One customer loves them in Terry Cains BIB boxes.

Open baffle works.

Others like them in a .5 cubic foot boxe, with a woofer below 150 hz.

These typically have a rising high end that can be tamed by listening off axis or adding a 1mh coil with a 10 to 15 ohm resistor. Place the resistor and coil parallel with each other, and that combination in between + amp and + of Lowther.

Did someone say SS with Lowthers?

First Watt at RMAF

I really enjoyed it. So did a large number of people who swore by tubes until then.

Well, you don't make progress by sticking you head in the sand. So a little Heresey is good once in a while. Just as long as you don't get carried away and try to put a Lowther in something with a vent. (hey, I can have my fun too!)

Jon,

After all of the grief I have taken for the past five years over putting a passive circuit between my amp and my Lowthers I just could not resist. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your recommendation. You are going to force me to do something even more outragous so that I can stay the black sheep of the Lowther community.

Vented Lowthers

Hi Bob:

Martin knows that I was kidding, and I have the greatest respect for his work.

Not sure if you got the fact that I was kidding. Your stuff not only sounds great, but it also looks great, and everyone I have talked to loves it. Hope you took my jest in the correct light.

My recent voyage into open baffles has also been called heresey, but after they listen for a bit the tune changes - usually a quite a bit. They have a crossover, no horn, and they sound great. Such is progress.

What is an A45

Hi Gianluca:

A45 is the 5" version of the PM6A. Same magnet, smaller cone.

The DX sister of this is the DX45. Same magnet strength, but uses Neodynium instead of Alnico.

The little drivers do not have quite the dynamics of the bigger units. But they extend further up, often past 20kHz. The are also a little "cleaner" sounding than the big ones. The are very fast and revealing. You can easily tell the difference in amps, recordings, etc. Fun stuff, I really enjoy them.

I wonder why the 5'' doesn't see more use? With all the noise about creating a nice 5''er coined the "esr", this Lowther unit could have been under the radar the whole time just waiting to be discovered? Maybe as the price for this 5'' is the same as the bigger PM6A it hardly gets picked? I wonder why it's not cheaper than the bigger driver?
Dave:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.