Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
cgrums is offline cgrums  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fonken Build Questions

I seem to be having trouble finding the thread I started previously asking about switching from 1/2" material to 3/4" material in a Fonken build.

I made the switch and adjusted the widths of the panels to maintain the same internal volume.

I've cut most of the pieces down to size and am realizing that I didn't leave enough additional material to rabbet the edges of the panels to make a more 'finished' final product.

Here's my question: if the overall length and width of the speaker is reduced by ~1" to allow for 1/2" rabbets on either side, will the design be compromised totally?

I'm in the process of creating a drawing to illustrate what I'm referring to.
Old 16th October 2008, 03:45 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Fonken Build Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by cgrums
Here's my question: if the overall length and width of the speaker is reduced by ~1" to allow for 1/2" rabbets on either side, will the design be compromised totally?
I wouldn't do it... that will reduce volume sufficiently to completely redesign the port structure. And with a loss of LF extension.

dave
Old 16th October 2008, 05:53 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fonken Build Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by cgrums
I seem to be having trouble finding the thread I started previously asking about switching from 1/2" material to 3/4" material in a Fonken build.

I made the switch and adjusted the widths of the panels to maintain the same internal volume.

I've cut most of the pieces down to size and am realizing that I didn't leave enough additional material to rabbet the edges of the panels to make a more 'finished' final product.

I'm in the process of creating a drawing to illustrate what I'm referring to.

As Dave has already noted, you can't reduce the internal volume without diminishing the performance.

If what you're looking for is a higher degree of finish detail on the exterior of the box, and you already have all the parts cut, you could simply laminate another layer of thin material, either before, or even simpler, after major assembly. They can easily be overlapped, and with appropriate adhesive and panel clamping, effectively create a rabbeted joint .

If you're post veneering the boxes, the fiddliest part of the finishing is hand cutting the veneer around the port slots and rebated driver cutouts. That's where the nose of the clothes iron, a sharp veneer knife, and practice will pay off.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Why not just veneer the cabinets? That's what I'm doing w/ my Fonkens. If you have the patience to build the cabinets right in the first place, then putting a layer of veneer over them is no great burden. Yes, it takes some time & effort w/ an X-acto knife (or in my case, a No. 11 scalpel,) but the result is well worth it.

Cheers, Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!