New anniversary FR-speaker Pioneer PE-101A (10cm, like Fostex FX)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pioneer by seventy-year anniversary has released a replica popular thirty years ago Pioneer PE-101.

Sale, unfortunately, is possible only for Japan.

Though Pioneer all of us very strongly love!!!)))

Also it is released small enclosure with Fr=90 Hz:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Datasheet for Pioneer PE-101A

Machine translation from the Japanese - it is a lot of interesting:

1) It is light and is strong. "Wet press corn"

The wet press corn that does shape, the material, and the careful selection and the examination repeatedly achieves clear tone quality with a good omission. This corn is corn made by the uppermost electric machine company used for a famous speaker manufacturer in the world including TAD, and the same one as the original of "PE-101".

2) It excelled in the straight line and durability. "Foam polyurethane rubber edge"

An excellent foam polyurethane rubber edge in the straight line is adopted. It operates, and the enhanced inside bass is reproduced linear for the high amplitude.

3) It is strong also in the high-power. "Balance lead line"

The balance of the vibration system improves by drawing out the lead line in parallel, and a steady stroke has been achieved.

4) A high region is enhanced. "Titanium central cap"

A central cap is an important factor that decides the tone quality of a high region. The high region reproduction with an obedient expansion and putting is enabled by adopting titanium that it is light and the rigidity is high.

5) Solid"Aluminum die cast frame"

A thick, solid aluminum die cast frame is adopted. A useless resonance was prevented by certain fixation on the baffle board, and the sound was prevented being become impure.

6) "Pure copper cap" that decreases the distortion is installed in the Paul peace.

The current distortion caused in a magnetic circuit when the voice coil moves is decreased by installing the pure copper cap, and the reproduction with a little distortion is enabled.

7) Riniarite when a low region reproduces is improved. "Hole getting tired Paul"

Pressure in a magnetic circuit when corn vibrates is decreased to Paul by clearing the hole and Riniarite in a low region has been improved.

8) Strong magnetic circuit"Large-scale magnet of 90mm size of magnet

The resolution of the sound has been improved by using a strong magnetic circuit.

8a437d09cc3900f32f.jpg

Dear guru I ask to tell opinion about Pioneer PE-101A, please. Possible alternatives speaker enclosure?

BW, VU

An interesting cabinet is offered by the Pioneer for this driver.
Similar to "Voice of Theatre" from Altec. Look datasheet

The most enterprising Japanese have already begun it manufacture in a private order.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pictures from auction Yahoo!

BW, VU

Godzilla said:
Wouldn't a Fostex 103, 107 or 127 work in a box like that?

Very cool!

Perhaps it so.

The horn adds weight to the uppermost bass for FE127E. And perhaps, for the FX120.

That it is even more interesting, Pioneer offers BLH-cabinet for this driver, adjusted on whole 40Hz!

Here datasheet

Perhaps this will work well with the FE127E, FX120 and the others with similar parameters.
The size of a small, that adds even more attractive.

BW, VU

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vlauga said:
That it is even more interesting, Pioneer offers BLH-cabinet for this driver, adjusted on whole 40Hz!

That is awfully close to a BK101 (a slight scaling upward from a 1st pass). Not really a horn at all, this is more of a transmission-line as per MJK paper on small "horns" BK101 is good to a but better than 100 Hz, this is likely in the same ball-park.

dave

Attachments

• bk101_fe103horn.gif
    bk101_fe103horn.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 540
I built the BK 101 for my wife's uncle years ago and we listened to them the other day. They use RS 1197's i got for a buck each on closeout. He loves them! His music collection consists mainly of Ella, Sinatra, Cole... and similar. The added echo and reverb livens up the sound and makes one feel live in the studio. He told me when the painter spent some time finishing up his apartment he loved the music and the sound. He commented that he hasn't heard great sound like that in other homes. Imagine if he knew what they cost. Wonder if he'd suddenly dislike the sound? But the BK 101 with all it's many faults sounds excellent with that type of genre.

Personally, i am not crazy about them at all.

Japanese already offer a double bass reflex for Pioneer PE-101A. )

I never heard any DBR. From physics, it should stretch bass (to slow), but increase its quantity. Colouring sound should not be.
Also I know, theory DBR is not developed till now. Therefore if to use empirical formulas, the result turns out ambiguous. Correctly I understand?

BW, VU

Well, it's ultimately just helmholtz behaviour, assuming the dimensions are such as to ensure no standing-waves are present. DBR has not really been explored a great deal though, especially as there are several different variations -Weems did a paper some time ago, and there have been one or two others. Martin King has a MathCAD worksheet that allows the modelling of the simplier twin port type Fostex occasionally use for e.g. (Weems used a triple-port cabinet).

Thing about DBR is, IMO, it's usually more trouble than it's worth. For a driver capable of going low, there are usually simpler & more effective ways (an MLTL, say). And if it's not really suitable for going low (short of horn loading) then it's just trying to get blood out of a stone & the performance will be questionable.

planet10 said:

That is awfully close to a BK101 (a slight scaling upward from a 1st pass). Not really a horn at all, this is more of a transmission-line as per MJK paper on small "horns" BK101 is good to a but better than 100 Hz, this is likely in the same ball-park.

dave

FWIW, except for the significant lack of port in the "filter chamber" this looks remarkably similar to the Fostex FE126E "hybrid" enclosure as well, and we remember how that sounded.

If these drivers are not widely available to DIYers outside of Japan, is all this discussion not rather moot in any case?

Buy this Pioneer may not be important. There are many other drivers - Altec 405, old Technics 10Fxx, JBL, Fostex, finally.
Here is an interesting approach the owners of TAD to the DIY sector.
I think now many people postponed the idea to use Pioneer VOTT-cabinet for such drivers from other manufacturers.
High bass and lower middle receive more natural. It does not hurt speed. Titanium lid is also interesting. Diffusor from TAD.
Buy this driver is possible from Japan. With a strong desire. But most wanted to hear initial feedback on the sound. But before it would be desirable to hear the first responses about sounding.

BW, VU

Fostex F120A?

Great thread... very interested in the little VOTT enclosure (it just looks cool). I've downloaded the PDF spec sheet for the PE-101A but can't seem to get much in the form of T/S parameters. I'm wondering about trying the Fostex F120A in such an enclosure. Any idea if these would be a reasonable driver to try?

I also sent the info to a friend of mine who is Japanese and does visit Japan frequently... maybe he can find out more details.

Regards, KM

Thanks, kmaier . I will be grateful for any information.

For F120A VOTT-cabinet it is too progressive.
For such small sizes front-horn work begins too early (too high).
That is, those frequencies, which are already self-F120A.
For F120A it is necessary to increase smoothly efficiency more low 120...150 Hz. I think, for the maximum disclosing of potential F120A it is necessary short BR which will not introduce appreciable time distortions. With high quality the amplifier (as at you), source and room for audition, ....))), it will be audible. Also with adoption of measures for exclusion of port reflex additional sounds. And additional sounds of rereflection in the box which gets out back the box through the driver diffusor.

BW, VU

P.S. Fostex + VOTT-cab it is FX120 and FE127E.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.