Tang Band 593sf ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got experience with all sorts of 3 and 4 inch TB, including this one. It should be painfully obvious to anyone that bass response doesn't go very deep, but what can be coaxed out of it is satisfying and smooth. These guys are articulate and sparkly, but not overly sibilant or spitty. Whatever might might look offensive in the TB supplied plot (dubiously optomistic) simply isn't there, to my ears. They're neither screamy nor too relaxed in the midrange. Overall very listennable, very pleasing.

I've said a few times before that certain drivers with low x-max can be pushed very obviously past their stated limit with no audible distortion. I would like to clarify that this observation has been critically tested. I listen particularly for distortion when driven enthusiastically. This driver fits that category. It's not going to get near 3mm, but it will go farther than 0.5mm before getting goofy. My golden ear says so.

Next up for these is OB with a high Q woof. I've got 4 of these, so I'm trying to dream up something for a dual driver setup. Sensitivety is low on paper, but I'm betting they can do the job. The only drawback is going to be that huge motor assembly blocking the backwave...

Xmax is just a number, in reference to a nominal ~10% distortion. Beyond that, how quickly it increases varies from driver to driver, but an extra few percenage points is unlikely to cause heartbreaking distress for the majority of FR driver fans / users. After all, if stunning technical performance is the desired goal, then single-driver based systems (with the possible exception of Olson's legendary 15in unit) are unlikely to be at the head of the list of options, right? ;)

Precisely! That's one of many factors that draw me to the fullrange crowd... there's still "by ear" observations and tweaks going on. Too many people are modelling with programs like it's the law, measuring and declaring success based on flatness, and arguing the merits of hitting lofty design goals, all while seemingly ignoring the most important aspect of a speaker system- does it sound good, especially to you? Sounding good to some people equals measuring good, no exceptions. There's still a little voodoo left in fullrangers...

I say we sacrifice the gerbil at dawn.

In fairness, I prefer a balanced response, rather than one completely cockeyed, as, I suspect, we all do, but blindly following measurements alone is rarely a recipie for success. It's all back down to what compromises you're willing to accept to gain whatever it is you value more.

seems like a decent, current inexpensive alternative to the 871s.

I got a builder now who can make my focused curved arrays after my dual 4" bamboo (like the omega minuet loudspeaker).
The w3-871s I have 9 of them and can't find more, I asked here even.

I was looking at the tg9fd10-04 driver but it is $30 in 10 lot quantity.

This Tang band looks good at almost half the price.

Norman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.