Zaph's B3S - box volume question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm making a pair of speakers based on Zaph's cheap Hi-Vi B3S design only for near field bedside table FM radio listening. However, for aesthetics, I'd like to knock the box size down by about 1/3 - that is, from 3.35 litres to around 2.35. Otherwise, they'll be too big for their intended use.

Can anyone suggest whether this will greatly affect their sound? I know this is hardly a hi-fi useage anyway, but if they're too compromised I'll find another way.

Incidentally, they'll be running off an old 70's Pioneer SX-434 receiver (~15W) which is built into the bedside cabinet.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Cheers

Stuey

Here are some very random thoughts...

Could you maintain the internal volume while reducing the exterior dimensions by going to a thin wall, maybe diecast box?

Under the heading "Use an active subwoofer crossover!" Zaph mentions that his volume gives a impedance peak at 130 Hz.; a smaller enclosure will raise this.

If you are up to experimenting, you can try a bigger box. Then add solid items (maybe kids' blocks) to try smaller volumes to determine the smallest acceptable volume.

Thanks for the comments. I actually re-read Zaph's page before posting and didn't notice the mention of the impedance peak...sorry.

The thin wall idea might be a goer, though. As output will be low always, resonances won't be as critical so even thinner wood (as opposed to diecast) might suffice!

Hmmm. Time to re-think. Maybe gain some from thinner material, and make the box slightly taller with the same baffle width to gain more. The problem is that the footprint of the Zaph design is slightly too big for the smallish table I'm using.

Thanks again.

Stuey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.