Full range for a newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm slowly working my way through a wealth of material - Dave's planet 10, the excellent pages on Martin's Quarter Wave site, the full range forum and of course here.

I am trying to put together some high quality hifi for myself - I live in Hong Kong, and hifi is either mass produced or extreme high end, in either case overpriced.

I am thinking about building a gain clone as my amp, with the next stage being perhaps a valve-based preamp. I would like to build some speakers - the single full range driver appeals due to its simplicity and lack of crossover.

Can anyone suggest a floorstanding design which uses a full range driver which would be realistic to build without sophisticated shop machinery - I like the look of the frugel-horn, but the cutting angles difficult with just a jigsaw.

Obviously, it would need to sound incredible...

Thanks for your patience - I'm trying to read as much as I can about this, but it's overwhelming to begin with

Matt

OK

Speakers can be placed in corners 350cm apart or against a wall. One corner has a window starting at around a metre off the floor. A floor stander somewhere between 100 - 130 cm with a foot print no larger than say 40cm by 30 cm would probably have most acceptance factor, but open to ideas.

thanks...

I've managed to find a local supplier who can supply and cut the wood for what ever I need. Other manufacturing issues would seem to be equal at this point.

Looking at the versitilty aspect, I think that corner horns might be out. I think I'm trying to decide between MJK's ML TL for FE206E and Scottmooses Half Chang design for FE207.

Both of these designs meet SOAF requirements and both seem to have good feedback from those who have built them.

They will be driven by a squeezebox into a non-inverted gainclone, with perhaps the addition of a tube buffer/preamp sometime in the near future (it's addictive this...)

As always, any advice gratefully received.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.