Full range for a newbie - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2008, 07:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full range for a newbie

Hi all

I'm slowly working my way through a wealth of material - Dave's planet 10, the excellent pages on Martin's Quarter Wave site, the full range forum and of course here.

I am trying to put together some high quality hifi for myself - I live in Hong Kong, and hifi is either mass produced or extreme high end, in either case overpriced.

I am thinking about building a gain clone as my amp, with the next stage being perhaps a valve-based preamp. I would like to build some speakers - the single full range driver appeals due to its simplicity and lack of crossover.

Can anyone suggest a floorstanding design which uses a full range driver which would be realistic to build without sophisticated shop machinery - I like the look of the frugel-horn, but the cutting angles difficult with just a jigsaw.

Obviously, it would need to sound incredible...

Thanks for your patience - I'm trying to read as much as I can about this, but it's overwhelming to begin with

Matt
Old 15th October 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

More info please ...

What is the max size of speakers you could tolerate? your sig other could tolerate?

:-)

Doug
Old 15th October 2008, 10:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK

Speakers can be placed in corners 350cm apart or against a wall. One corner has a window starting at around a metre off the floor. A floor stander somewhere between 100 - 130 cm with a foot print no larger than say 40cm by 30 cm would probably have most acceptance factor, but open to ideas.

thanks...
Old 15th October 2008, 02:15 PM   #4
kontr is offline kontr  Greece
diyAudio Member

What about an hybrid (like a 8” full and 15” woofer in OB). That sounds good and to easy to make.
Old 15th October 2008, 04:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaaudio.com/diy-speaker-building.htm

Why not a BIB or a Voigt Pipe? They are easy to build and sound great with full range drivers.

Godzilla
Old 15th October 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cyburgs Needle is a great first build:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-47403.html

Small, simple, easy cuts, looks good.

It's not the "ultimate" speaker, though. It only sounds very, very good - it doesn't go loud enough for parties. That said, my next build is a BiB or one of MJK's Open Baffle designs.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've managed to find a local supplier who can supply and cut the wood for what ever I need. Other manufacturing issues would seem to be equal at this point.

Looking at the versitilty aspect, I think that corner horns might be out. I think I'm trying to decide between MJK's ML TL for FE206E and Scottmooses Half Chang design for FE207.

Both of these designs meet SOAF requirements and both seem to have good feedback from those who have built them.

They will be driven by a squeezebox into a non-inverted gainclone, with perhaps the addition of a tube buffer/preamp sometime in the near future (it's addictive this...)

As always, any advice gratefully received.

Hide this!Advertise here!