Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2008, 07:40 PM   #1
blrh93 is offline blrh93  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default full range drivers in a sonus faber style cabinet. would this work?

hi,
i am a gcse student and am building a pair of speakers for my final project in design and technology i was wondering if it would be possible to use a fullrange driver in a sonus faber style cabinet (curved back), or would i not be able to get a good enough bass reproduction?

i was hoping to use this style of cabinet/enclosure.

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_p...?TID=3729&PN=1
Old 14th October 2008, 08:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can build a great sounding speaker using a full range driver in a cabinet like that. Fostex makes a number of drivers that sound great in ported boxes. You just need to make sure the volume in the box is appropriate and port it for best sound. Figure the size of you speaker and the box volume and then look at the Fostex 167e, 127e or even the 207e has been known to work in ported boxes. Also, look at some of the Tangband drivers. They make some great 3 and 4 inch full range drivers that also work great in ported boxes like the one you like. Jordan makes a great driver for a box like that too.
Old 14th October 2008, 08:12 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Of the SF i've heard the ones in Ellipsa shaped boxes had the edge... but this style (done right) would certainly out do a money coffin (rectangular box)

dave
Old 14th October 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the help, i was hoping on using a fostex sigma driver would this be appropriate?
Old 14th October 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by blrh93
thanks for the help, i was hoping on using a fostex sigma driver would this be appropriate?
Sigmas tend to much prefer rear loaded horns, you'll be better off with FE127/167/207 FX120/F120A/F200A for a basic (or not so basic) reflex-style enclosure

dave
Old 24th October 2008, 12:44 PM   #6
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:

Yes, you can make it work by designing and adding a Linkwitz Transform circuit for the Fostex Sigma. I've tried something similar on low Qts drivers with great results.
Old 24th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi, thanks for that info can you buy these ready made or would i have to build one? im not very experienced.

but i think i will use the fostex fx120.
Old 24th October 2008, 04:31 PM   #8
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hi, thanks for that info can you buy these ready made or would i have to build one? im not very experienced.

but i think i will use the fostex fx120.
If you're thinking of stacked laminate construction technique, I'd suggest you contact Dave at Planet10 offline for some enclosure suggestions. From personal experience, I can assure you that several of the designs from his cataloque will outperform most of the Fostex recommended enclosures for the same driver.

There will be some basic questions such as room / amp type / anticipated listening levels, etc.
Old 15th January 2011, 02:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've just rediscovered this topic after 2 years so i thought it would be good to post some pics of what I built in the end, basically I ran short of time and money this meant that some comprises in sound quality had to be made mainly so i could spend more time making them aesthetically pleasing (to get a good grade) , which in some ways I regret because i have a fair useless pair of speakers now, maybe you could suggest some modifications to improve the sound, anyways here's a couple of pics (sorry for the bad quality there all i have atm) ill try take some better ones when i have access to a camera.

Click the image to open in full size.

Im now fancying making another pair of cabinets (something that sounds nice!) I've been looking at the lake district series of cabinets by Woden design, in particular the Coniston ones has anyone build these or heard them? i thought it would be fitting seen as this is where i live!
Old 15th January 2011, 02:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

They look good to me. I hope you got an A. Those Woden boxes look nice and juicy.

Hide this!Advertise here!