Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2008, 08:38 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EUVL
Anyone can help to post some data of the Alpair 6 Round here ?
I checked the website, clicked onto Specification & Frequency Chart, but nothing appeared on my browser.

Thanks,
Patrick
Try some other browser. Works fine for me with Firefox and Opera. Or you might need some addon, dunno if its flash or what.
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:58 PM   #22
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I did a few sims for the FR alpair10, parameters will give plenty of freedom to choose the cabinet size.. I would myself probably go for the SBB4 or slightly larger with the same tune, but smaller BR cabinets are possible (even as small as 6 liters tuned @40Hz will give a nice response).

I just received a pair, so now I must "just" find the time to build some cabs and test them
Attached Images
File Type: png three br alignmenst for alpair10fr 8-10-12 liter.png (19.0 KB, 1548 views)
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi ,

I am intrigued by the alpair10 woofer. It has a worse frequency response than the fullrange10, very strange and cost 30 buks less

Cheers,
Paolo
Old 15th December 2008, 07:03 PM   #24
RayO is offline RayO  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Alpair 10 Full Range

I'm a newbie to all this speaker building stuff so please make allowances for my inexperience. I believe the beauty of a speaker is in the ear of the beholder, so the following is just one man's opinion and nothing more.

I received a pair of Alpair 10 Full Range drivers a few days ago and installed them in a (thrown together) bass reflex enclosure. The internal dimensions are 35cm High x 18cm Wide x 22cm Deep with a port that's 4cm Dia x 14 cm Long. I used about 20mm felt damping on the top, sides, back, and a bit between the driver and the port. All in all, a very basic loudspeaker enclosure. The driver's designer (Mark Fenlon) gave me the starting enclosure volume and the port dimensions.)

The drivers were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. They are, for lack of a better word, beautiful. The fit and finish is perfect and I felt like I was handling a precision machine.

I was considering the Jordan JX92 before I decided to go with Alpair 10 and now, I am ever so pleased that I did. After a few minutes of listening to various samples of my music collection and experimenting with the position of the speakers, I put on a Diana Krall album and quickly found myself immersed in the music. I wasn't listening to the speakers (they quickly disappeared) I was listening to the music. It felt like I had a front row center seat and she was right there, in front of me. I could close my eyes and visualize where every instrument was on the stage. I could hear the brushes on the cymbals, her every breath, when the guitar player slid his fingers to a different position, I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the idea.

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised with was the ability of these little gems to play *LOUD*. In my humble opinion, not only do these drivers match or beat the Jordans in accuracy, they can "crank up the volume" too. I put on some good old rock and roll and couldn't resist the temptation to see what they could do. Well... They can go a lot louder than *I* want to listen to and they can do it without getting "harsh" or "muddy". In fact, they can comfortably handle everything my little old Arcam Alpha 6 can throw at them and serve it up clear and clean.

Before I started this project, I was thinking about adding a sub to fill in the bottom but now, I don't feel like a sub is necessary at all. I don't know how they did it, but the Alpair 10 truly deserves the title of "full range driver". The base is tight and defined with no hint of "boom". A bass drum sounds like a base drum and when the musician plucks a stringed double base, it *doesn't* sound like an electric base guitar.

Bottom line... I am delighted with the Alpair 10 and would love for the speaker guru's here to help this mere mortal out with enclosure ideas that would do justice to this driver. Now, I wish I'd built those boxes better. They might have been keepers.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:23 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I just ordered a pair of Alpair 10 FRs and now im looking for an enclosure for them.

The BR cabinet mentioned above would probably work fine, but im thinking MLTL or BLH. Is it possible for this driver to work well on a BLH? Can anyone recommend a suitable horn for the job?
Old 30th December 2008, 02:52 AM   #26
lazenna is offline lazenna  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think a lot of us diy'ers would love to see Mark come up with say, a 10 or 12 or even 15 inch full range a'la Tannoy.With the excellent look and build quality of his driver's that would really be something.
Old 30th December 2008, 05:36 PM   #27
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi RayO,

nice to know a fellow audio enthusiast in philippines.
im currently living in pasig and do some business here in manila, philippines. in which city are u residing? will u be kindly to invite me to audition the alpairs? i used the jordans before, and im planning to get the alpairs and maybe visit mark in hongkong in the next 2 weeks

cheers
henry
Old 30th December 2008, 11:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi Henry,

I'm located in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental. I am, very much, enjoying the Alpair 10's.

Ray
Old 30th December 2008, 11:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Henry,

I tried to send you an email but, I can't since I am a new member and still under moderation. Contact me off list and I will be happy to tell you how to get here and let you hear the Alpairs.

Ray
Old 31st December 2008, 04:45 AM   #30
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi ray, my email is chenhenry218@gmail.com, you can email me anytime

i would love to come to your place, thanks for the invitation.

what is system now? i have nad amp and arcam cd player that im planning to run the alpairs.

cheers
henry

Hide this!Advertise here!