Tuneful bass at low levels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
alspe said:
Hi to all.

With Consonance M12 I meant that large driver has lot of area so it don't have to move lot --> tuneful and quick bass? And wide baffle give more direct upper bass, not just room reflections.

Hence I suggested this 12" GAMMA with very nice pecs... 94db, 25hz, Qts 0.42 ... ideal fore closed box

Ofcourse, if you can afford a Supravox woofer its a different matter...it will be different, though uncertain how much

Attachments

• gamma_la1231.jpg
    gamma_la1231.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 352
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
BTW.. I can tell that the GAMMA woofer has its origin in a very popular 3way "monitor" loudspeaker kit here in Skandinavia from around 1970, maybe a even a bit earlier
Drivers were "cheap" and made in eastern Europe, with ALNICO magnets
Tweeter was a copy of the famous DECCA horn ribbon
They seem to still sell the 5" mid as well

Although this new Gamma woofer looks similar, I expect it to be quite different, specs and all

But admittedly, its a bit hard to choose a driver which no one knows anything about...obtainable around here, the only other big woofer with low Fs I can think of is Supravox and I reckon quality is no issue with that, but cost serious money

Well, there is the SB Acoustic drivers, but quite different beasts

I have a pair of CSS FR125's in BIB enclosures as my bedroom system. Despite having tiny little drivers they wound up sounding rather bass-heavy at higher listening levels. That's never a factor in the bedroom, and the balance works quite nicely at lower volumes. Plus they have a small footprint are happiest tucked away in the corners of the room.

lousymusician said:
I have a pair of CSS FR125's in BIB enclosures as my bedroom system. Despite having tiny little drivers they wound up sounding rather bass-heavy at higher listening levels.

This I can believe based on my experience with a pair in some 40-1354 MLTLs, so want to try them in some form of BIB to further extend them.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.