Bandor 50MM Modules in a Sub-Sat System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried a DIY version of Bandor's Trident II Sub-Sat system? It looks quite doable.

Since the Jordan/EAD JX6R HD has apparently become unobtanium, I am now seriously considering the Bandors, specifically the 16 Ohm version due its flatter response compared to the other units in the 50MM module line. The Bandor ad in AudioXpress sparked my renewed interest.

BTW, what has become of Seventh-Veil?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Beginning of the year IIRC. I don't see why it should affect Bandor too much -they were just a customer, and, given that one assumes they went under because they didn't sell too many speakers, I doubt the fiscal loss will be huge. Bandor, I imagine, like Jordan & Mark Audio, will have their units made in small batches, so they'll all go through patches of poor availability.

FWIW, I suspect their cabinets were very expensive to make (and probably needlessly so, irrespective of PR nonsense). Result: they were only ever likely to be a pricey niche product, irrespective of how good they may, or may not, have been.

Scottmoose -

Have you ever heard a Bandor 50mm module? The current exchange rate is not the most favorable, so I want to be fairly sure of the purchase.

I have played around extensively with Fostex FF85K units and love what they do. They sound spacious and very open. However, they are a bit tizzy in the treble and have little bass, on their own, of course. I expect that the Bandors would be a big step up in the treble and would do very nicely with a sub.

Karl

Yes. It was a while ago though. Not too far off the FF85K actually. I've never directly compared the two, but by fallible memory, it's probably a bit cleaner at the top end, compared to the stock Fostex, but less sensitive. The cabinets were rather different, but I can't see there being a great deal of difference in the LF.

That is true. With a sub, LF won't be an issue.

Dispersion, clarity, and well-controlled HF are my goals, and the cone of the Bandor is significantly smaller than that of the FF85K. The 16 Ohm version of the Bandor also seems to have flatter response than that of the FF85K and the other Bandor 50MM modules.

I hope the word is subs, plural, rather than singular, or you'll run into some major problems in the LF if crossing at ~150Hz. 70Hz is about the limit of use for a single sub if you don't want directionality issues, and preferably [a lot] lower.

Depends what you call significantly smaller -the FF's cone is ~29cm^2, the Bandor 26cm^2. Not that much in it. It should be nominally the better driver though -one would hope so, considering the price, although the extra sensitivity of the Fostex has its uses. YMMV as always.

I did write "subs", but I could build two units.

I didn't realize that the cone areas were so similar. Good to know.

I wonder if the hard dust cap of the FF85K contributes to the ragged HF. I also have an issue with the stamped basket. I know that Dave (AKA Planet10) has worked on these considerably to address cone and basket resonances.

I have my FFs in ~6.8L boxes that are very shallow, quite broad, and very long. I was astonded by Brian Eno's "Music for Airports", performed by the Bang On The Can All-Stars, played through them. This was shortly after I finished the cabinets. Vocals simply hung in the air. It was very beautiful. I have been experimenting with packing peanuts in the cabinets, with some success.

I feel it's time to get serious and move on to a better 2-3in. single driver. Since the JX6s are not available, I have to consider something else. I could try some Tang Band drivers, but the Bandors seem much better in terms of response, reputation, and build quality.

Karl,

I have not. In the late 70s/early 80s I had the original Jordan 50 mm units running in pairs per side. My current experience is with the Alpair 5 crossed at 300 to the SDX7.

The Alpair 6 and Alpair 10 should be very good and priced competitively with the Jordan and Bandor units. I'm as eager as the next person to hear these as I've known about them for months. The first units will ship next week to Jeff at Occam for the RMAF cabinet build. Saleable inventory is expected the week after RMAF.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.