looking for simple speker build help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All
This Post is really directed to scottmoose and or Dave Planet 10
As you all probably know I have intended building the FE 126e Frugal horns for some time now but as my woodwork skills are well not good plus a lack of tools doesn’t help is there a flat pack kit for these cabinets availably in uk by chance
REQIUERMENTS
Looking for a simple build with all internal cuts at 90 for cutting simplicity
With good imaging and good bass/mids scaling and voicing of instruments but not earth shaking low
MUSIC STYLES
Blues Jazz Folk
ROOM SIZE
15ftx10.5ft x7.8 ft
SPEAKER PLACMENT
Back wall firing across room
I have considered the BVRs for the FE126e
CONCERNS
bass levels
SABURO Too large
BRYNN, cabinet width and imaging plus Bass???
cabinet width and imaging
I welcome your inputs on this or have you any new simple cabinets for the FE126e to suite my room floor standing preferred but stand mounted would be ok as well
Thank you
Colin

Hi All
anyone got some thoughts on this Fe126e full range cabinets worth building or not
f3a0_12.jpg

f61e_3a.jpg

f7d5_12.jpg

what do you think
Cheers
Colin

Hi Scott
Yes it seems I can’t find a descent simple to build cabinet for the FE126e as I or ready have the 126s I am trying to find some thing better as described in my first post on the BVRs you have designed most of the others seem to be for the 127e but at 91 db this bothers me a bit for low power valve amp

If you already have the 126 driver's, then your not going to find anything other than a OB that is simpler to construct than a BIB cab.. I'd do a inverted 126 BIB and see how I liked it... Some(not all) of these cabs that are way more complicated ,are not really offering leaps and bounds of improvement over the BIB imo.. The talk of some ripple in the BIB's would be something you should check out for yourself.. For instance when mine were heard they went up against the Frugals and A126, and to my ears did very well in that company considering they were listened to outside, and not in the false corners as the others were, plus they were freshly built and the others had been highly tweaked over lots of listening time etc.. Inside, in or near corners ,they work very well btw... In any event the A126 or one of Scott's designs would be a better choice than the FH if you end up doing a more complicated build, as the FH suffers from one big drawback imo, but has mucho WAF... Dave:)

Not very well to the first, because it's not the sort of load the 126 likes -it has very little linear excursion. At low SPLs you might get away with it, but distortion will rise rapidly if you play any louder. No to the second, because it's not designed to go particularly low; only to provide scale to the image. It will be fairly clean down to about 80 - 90Hz at low volume settings.

There are lots of responses here and that is good.

Since there is a lot of background on the BIB from the big thread.
a how to build site with a calculator that you can use to experiment or just use the stock FE126 dims I vote for the BIB.

Building a Solo 103 (shown in your picture which was designed by a fellow in Europe and has been shown for a long time) will not give the satisfaction of hearing a BIB.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html

Also as a design, the BIB is square and straight and unobtrusive when set up. The BIB builds I've made include a setup being run from
a hacked boombox with 3 watts of output. I can fill the room at 1/4 volume from the Fostex FE127 installed in a BIB.

Over the years I've had to take my physics lesson. A big box gives big sound and a backhorn is the way to get it.

Check out Bob Brines website. He only has designs for the 20* and 16* fostex speakers though.

I have built an LT-2000 and am going to build an FB-20 in the near future. You have to buy the plans but in terms of the quality of product you get at the end and how much easier it makes the whole process they are incredible value for money.

Hi everyone thanks for you input
Yes sorry I'm not the best at explaining things out but original I planed to build the Frugel-Horn and went a head and got the FE126e Drivers with out stopping to think it threw as my woodwork skills is well crap plus Iv not got all the proper tools to cut all the angles so now looking for good cabinets to put the FE126e into unless there’s a set of plans somewhere for a |Back loaded horn with all internal’s at right angels for the FE126e think I could build that:eek:

colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi everyone thanks for you input
Yes sorry I'm not the best at explaining things out but original I planed to build the Frugel-Horn and went a head and got the FE126e Drivers with out stopping to think it threw as my woodwork skills is well crap plus Iv not got all the proper tools to cut all the angles so now looking for good cabinets to put the FE126e into unless there’s a set of plans somewhere for a |Back loaded horn with all internal’s at right angels for the FE126e think I could build that:eek:

Colin:

I've built more than a couple of cabinet designs for several drivers in the FE family - as well as listened to a commercial BLH product. (OK, let's not mince words, Ed Schilling's "Horn" - a great little speaker, but not a sanctioned DIY design).

Of all of those I've had the pleasure of experiencing, by a wide margin the Ron Clarke A126 design would be my choice, room permitting - but it's not a particularly easy build for a beginner - and neither is the Frugelhorn.

FWIW, of all of the "official" DIY designs for the FE126 that really shine, the only one I can think of that consists of (a lot of ) 90 degree cuts would be Scott's double mouth Saburo. Aside from the complexity of the build due to the shear number of parts, this design might also fail some potential builder's WAF test. Perhaps Scott can make some recommendations regarding a "half size" version. I've heard something similar to what that might be, and trust me there's nothing pint sized about the sound.

p.s. - oops, pushed the post button too soon: I thought it important to mention that I'd also experimented with several drivers in Scott's Brynn design, and while the FE126 could be made to work well enough in this enclosure with series R (around 3 ohm IIRC), by far the FE127 or Hemp Acoustics FR4.5 are better suited to this design. For me, the required series resistance flattened some of the dynamic jump that I consider the 126's main advantage over the 127, while not completely mitigating the uptilted HF response of the former.

phresh said:
Check out Bob Brines website. He only has designs for the 20* and 16* fostex speakers though.

I have built an LT-2000 and am going to build an FB-20 in the near future. You have to buy the plans but in terms of the quality of product you get at the end and how much easier it makes the whole process they are incredible value for money.

no doubt thee, but if I may presume to speak to what Bob might say about any 4" "fullrange" driver - "OK for a midrange, I guess"... :angel:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
colin.hepburn2 said:

Colin,

Do you have a URL for that design... Jeff pointed me to a guy on eBay selling these. We have tried the FE126 in the Fonken, results were not great, and i've tried modeling up a box specifically for the FE126... no go with factory data, but since then i've gained some confidence and in-sight into my measured data... Troels did a little BR for the FE126 -- the measured bass
reponse looked kinda weal.

I could see re-examine with my data ....

or we could talk about a killer deal on an orphan set of alpha FH flat-paks (we only ever did 2 of these, 1 built to see how they went together before doing the beta run... as far as UK is concerned they have the advantage of being mostly 12mm instead of 15mm BB.

dave

planet10 said:

Colin,

Do you have a URL for that design... Jeff pointed me to a guy on eBay selling these. We have tried the FE126 in the Fonken, results were not great, and i've tried modeling up a box specifically for the FE126... no go with factory data, but since then i've gained some confidence and in-sight into my measured data... Troels did a little BR for the FE126 -- the measured bass
reponse looked kinda weal.

I could see re-examine with my data ....

or we could talk about a killer deal on an orphan set of alpha FH flat-paks (we only ever did 2 of these, 1 built to see how they went together before doing the beta run... as far as UK is concerned they have the advantage of being mostly 12mm instead of 15mm BB.

dave

Hi David
The URL for those Fe 126e Speakers you wanted is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290261309042&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2 or for 103 version http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html
I could see re-examine with my data.... your help on this is appreciated

dave
Thank you for your help I had though to contact you on a frugal horn flat pak but figured shipping would be too high can you post or email me pics of the alpha FH flat-paks and details on shipping cost to UK if possible

Thank you
Colin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.