suggested cabinet for 3" TB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 4 of 3"fullrangers looking for cabinets.

They are TB W3-593SF speakers and looking for medium size build. Perhaps smallish voight pipe or ? I have build several Cyberg Needles with BSC and they sound excellent, but now want to try another cabinet.

Would appreciate suggestions, thanks in advance.

Parameters:
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ω
SENSITIVITY 1W/1m 86 dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 110-20K Hz
FREE AIR RESONANCE 110 Hz
VOICE COIL DIAMETER 18.4 mm
EFFEC.PISTON AREA 0.0032M2
Levc 0.097mH
Zo 56ohm
X-max 0.5 mm
Vas 1.65 Litr.
Qts 0.59
Qms 4.97
Qes 0.67

gychang

Attachments

• tb.jpg
    tb.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 354
A few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:

Since you have two maybe you may consider a bipole design of some kind...

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/bipolar-bipoles-wVeneer.jpg

Or a modified wide baffle transmission line like this...

http://www.iamrik.com/jordan/jordan_vtl_2.jpg

Or maybe something like this fostex design with built in stands (scroll down to see)...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/fostexdrivers/FE167E.pdf

The spiral speaker is usually made using foxtex but i see no reason not to do with TB...

http://blogs.msdn.com/andrewdelin/archive/2005/12/29/507944.aspx

The Cain and Cain Noogi is nicely proportioned too...

http://www.audiosold.com/images/cain/noogi-1.jpg

Otherwise those would work nicely in simple ported boxes.

It so happens that I have four of these drivers, too. I've tried them in a tiny BiB (oxymoron) tuned to 70Hz and got no output. I then used all four in a bipole tuned to 60Hz and got some actual output. The sound was pleasent but at times sounded strained (no big suprise), however, I will add that there is output far past advertised X-max with no audible distortion. For my next trick, I'm building the Yellowplay for these. Yes, I know I've joined the ranks of people who can't use the driver a horn or BVR was intended for, but two W3s per cab with an enlarged CC looks like it will work. I'll simply delete the one interior panel that defines the bottom of the chamber and go from there.

I was able to up and stop drinking after living the rockstar lifestyle for fifteen years, but I can't stop building cabinets!

In the works-

Oliva
Half Chang (almost finished)
Buschhorn
Z-Horn
OB for GW 8" and 15"
linear array to use up all the NSBs and ND20s

Somebody stop me!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. You build a TQWP and I'll build the Yellowplay? We'll compare notes.

Godzilla said:
A few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:

The Cain and Cain Noogi is nicely proportioned too...

http://www.audiosold.com/images/cain/noogi-1.jpg

Looks very interesting, wonder if I can get any dimensions and plan.... I am absolutely lost in designing volumes from the parameters...

fwater said:

I was able to up and stop drinking after living the rockstar lifestyle for fifteen years, but I can't stop building cabinets!

In the works-

Oliva
Half Chang (almost finished)
Buschhorn
Z-Horn
OB for GW 8" and 15"
linear array to use up all the NSBs and ND20s

Somebody stop me!

we have the same disease..., no cure I am afraid. Hopefully nonprogressive illness.

gychang

gychang, I'm afraid that it is a progressive illness, and here's the proof...

O.K., hm, I'll bite. I'll build the design that you linked so I can get useful output at 35Hz from a driver with an Fs of 110Hz. There is a weird quirk on your website, though, and I can't figure it out. The plans for the horn are incomplete and there's a link at the bottom of the page that says the rest of the plans are available for a $30 fee. This must be a misprint because, after all, I've seen you post plenty of times linking to your designs and you couldn't possibly be just trying to make money from the people asking for advice on a forum where the spirit is the free exchange of ideas and helpful input. So simply e-mail me the plans and I'll build the design, document it's assembly, measure the results, and report back with my listenning impressions and numbers within a week or so. I'm looking forward to completing another set of speakers whose design was furnished to me through the spirit of kindness and enthusiasm that we all share for DIY.

Or I'll build the well documented Yellowplay modded for two drivers.

fwater

Hello,
read the plans again, they are complete to built it
without the part list, sorry

If you want to built for a test, better take the CORNET,
it easier to built, for a test please show us an inside foto, to know the right sizes and material, than you can get a partlist for free, if you need it.

Attachments

• kornettfront2kl.da.jpg
    kornettfront2kl.da.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 294
fwater said:
gychang, I'm afraid that it is a progressive illness, and here's the proof...

O.K., hm, I'll bite. I'll build the design that you linked so I can get useful output at 35Hz from a driver with an Fs of 110Hz. There is a weird quirk on your website, though, and I can't figure it out.

thanks, I will send an email. I do not have a web site, just a photobucket account where I put the speakers to view.

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199/gychang/?start=0

Deal with the wife is I get rid of a speaker if I want to build one, so give them away to friends. Lots of demand for free.

gychang

Hi,

measurement, distance, room,
and the driver has a reso of 125 Hz !!

if i take a smoothing a bit higher like
the Hersteller Angaben you will not notice it

why i should repeat the fact:
low frequencies are listenable after the 4 wave
than the sound is at40 Hz ~ 100msec on the run,
how much reflection between you room walls is that.

At bass a listening test is most important,
i let make measurement for money to explain my
construction and to show differences,
others don´t,

why don´t you test it than you can compair it,
which plan part list do you want, free.

Unfortunately I have no time, facilities, or money to build anything at present, though thank you for the offer.

Fs is not something that particularly concerns me as the driver's free air resonance taken independantly has little to do with the horn cut-off. 125Hz is no big deal.

I thought you said before your measurements were anechoic? My mistake. I take the opposite approach with measurements -because every room is different, and the placement of the speaker affects its performance too, I can't see much point in providing in-room plots which are unlikely to be of use to anyone else.

Scottmoose

thoughts, no time, but asking questions you could know if you read the measurements??

TUBA Basstuba anechoic, others in rooms with 20-25 qm,
i tested the horns in different rooms with different amps
the same performence, Elac makes a measurement in their showroom ~40 qm same measurement as in my room.

I done measurement to show what happend, other
telling about sound and ... but never done measurements
or imp some never done the speaker itself but talking about sound conclusions, i wished you will ask such questions there.

Er, no. Measurements are rarely what they seem. That's why I asked exactly what you'd done. If I knew, I wouldn't have asked would I?

You seem to be claiming that your speakers all perform exactly the same regardless of the room it's postitioned in; whereabouts in the room it happens to be; or where the listener is positioned? Am I reading that right? If so, I'm afraid I find that very difficult to believe. They must be unique in human history.

Regarding the rest, I can't actually understand your English or what you're trying to say -no offense, just stating.

I don't have time to constantly go searching the internet for whatever measurements you happen to have taken Horst. That's why I asked you a very simple question: what caused the suckouts in the FR graph you posted above? A single short sentence would have answered it easily enough, & we still haven't got a clear answer. Let me make it easy for you: is it caused by

A) Room interactions? Or
B) Ripple inherent to the design?

A or B? That's all I want to know. Simple as that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.