Low space / Low cost B20

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am greatly considering building cheap pair of fullrangers to accompany my gainclone. i have been doing some reading and it seems to me that the pioneer b20 is one hell of a driver when paired with a cheap tweeter. i wanted to put them into something like the half chang, but 13'' X 11'' X 47'' maybe a bit large and i would have to shove them into corners. the problem i have is that my kinda small and over stuffed room really limits me in terms of cabinet choices. so i got to thinking today at work about making open baffle speakers and hanging them from the ceiling.

this is kinda what i have in mind for tweets
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-182

but i've read on here that those $1.50 goldwood piezos are a great match too.

oh and another thing i know very little about open baffle speakers, does any one have any work sheets or reference designs that i can start from?

wow over 50 views and no replies. anyone have any input to my idea?

modeled up a quick and dirty idea for a hanging open baffle using a b20 and a cheap goldwood tweet. its 20 inches high, the main part is 10 inches wide with 3 inch "wings" at a 15 degree angle. i was thinking of ways to brace the driver and i came up with a half ellipse. would it pay to cut/drill holes into this piece?

Attachments

• ob1.jpg
    ob1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 254
http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Theory.html

If your room is small, I'm not entirely certain that hanging OB's from the roof is necessarily going to be a good idea...

You can damp down a box if needed if you're worried about LF being overpowering. Alternatively, just use a sealed enclosure. All of which is assuming you want a B20. You might find a set of smaller drivers an easier bet.

Thanks Scott for posting links to MJK's OB articles. I just scanned thru them and loved his research and findings!

Tweeters for the B20 are a personal thing. I like the cheap piezo's but many feel cheap domes work even better. The cheap paper cones i tried i did not like but that doesn't mean they don't work. They just sounded dead to me. If the tweeter fills in the missing high frequencies to your satisfaction without sounding disconnected from the B20 then you've got a good combination IMO.

One of the nicest features of the B20 is that it's easy to work with. Basically run it full and blend in the tweeter to taste. I've not tweaked my B20s - not even foam around the wizzer - but i understand the tweaks work well if one is inclined to try them.

The B20 works nicely in a simple sealed box of just about any reasonable size.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/pioneerb20-3cubox.htm

Mine are in a sealed 1.3L box and i am not wanting for bass even tho the charts suggest i should be. I like the bass i get with this setup. It's not perfect but it sure sounds good to me!

Godzilla

well i picked those tweeters up a few months ago trying to make my PE kit better. they just didnt sound right so i put the old tweeters back in. im thinking about mocking up a quick pair of open baffles to experiment with. if i dont like the OB i can always build the half chang or try making a omni out of some sonotube. im just a bit worried about placing omnis into corners, i read i wont like it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.