lowther to fostex cabs - can it be done?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have been offered some free lowther acousta cabinets minus drivers (I think its the acousta 115 see here). They originally took the PM6a driver, but I think also work OK with the DX3.

I don't have either of those, but I do have some FE206e. Specs are reasonably similar except for VAS (54L for FE206 and 15L for DX3 according to their sites).

So will it work and if it shouldn't what should I expect to hear?

Fran

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Just don't expect them to sound great -the Accousta range were never particularly good examples of BLH design. They will give you an introduction to hybrid horns though.

My 1st horn was a set of Lowther Acoustas.

In 1975 we got some PM6a from Wilmslow. Built a set of Acousta out of K3 (newfangled stuff we now call partical board). We drove them with a Dyna sca80. (played loud sounded terrible :) as one would expect)

Your results will be of interest but horns of come a long way of late.

dave

planet10 said:

My 1st horn was a set of Lowrher Acoustas.

In 1975 we got some PM6a from Wilmslow. Built a set of Acousta out of K3 (newfangled stuff we now call partical board). We drove them with a Dyna sca80. (played loud sounded terrible :) as one would expect)

Your results will be of interest but horns of come a long way of late.

dave

Translate button lol:clown: Just funnin ya, and I thought my writing was bad:D Hey, and no editing after the fact:whip:
Dave:)

Well I got my first chance to have a look at the cabinets and the damn fostex drivers won't fit I think...grrrr. Basically at the back of the first chamber there is a little recess where the magnet of the original lowther driver can sit into (loosely). The magnet on the back of the fostex is too big, so that the driver sits clear of the front plate by about 20mm. Its not going to be easy to make that back recess bigger - too hard to get at it.

The other option is to make up an adaptor plate to let the fostex driver sit out clear of the plate it sits on, essentially making the chamber behind it bigger. Not ideal either. What a PITA. :bawling:

Another option is to cut a big hole at the back of the cab and go at it from behind but I need to go back and study those drawings and see if I can get it from behind the cabinet.

On a side matter, the construction of those cabs aren't too bad at all. Seem very solid, made of ply instead of particle board. The front grille is a bit cheesy alright, but its a lot better put together than I expected. I can't comment on the design though, thats beyond me to be honest.

Dave - you reckon I should just cut my losses and just go build a new set of horns? Heres the follow Q: what should I build?

Fran

What I want:

Something thats the equal of my quad ESL 57s. I want at least as much bass as they give. I want them to be easier to place and work well in a range of room sizes. Tall and thin would be better than something that takes up a lot of floor space. If there was something that could go right back against a wall. I have the FE206 so would like to use them.

If it came in a magical self finishing piano black that would really be good:D :D

I using a variety of sources, and a 10WPC EL84 amp fed by an aikido pre. I don't need huge sensitivity, in fact I don't want it as chaces are the amp won't be quiet enough for that. Something smooth, without or at least minimizing the harshness of some of the fostex would be a requirement.

I have all the woodworking equipment so once its not a crazy build then I'm happy enough to take it on.

You asked!

Fran:smash: :smash:

Fran - "something thats the equal of my ESL57" (in which respect, one should ask), and that uses the FE206 is an interesting challenge.

Until such time as any of us get to hear every permutation of the "Spawn" family, the most obvious candidates would be Bruce (BVR) and Sachiko (Nagaoko style stepped horn)

I should think that Bruce would be the easier build, and is a full 12" shorter, but at approx 13" wide each, neither could be considered "thin".

Regardless of which enclosure you decide, and even if you add "helper" tweeters as some like to do with the 8" Fostex, you should definitely consider phase plugs.

As for the Acousta cabinets - Planet 10 has recycled the carbon in more than a few pair of vintage cabinet in a Halloween bonfire. Consider it a sacrifice to Woden, adopted as a Celtic god of loudspeaker design - just be sure to stand upwind to avoid the possible off-gassing UF glue.

ah go on fellas, tell us what you really think of these cabs!!:D

EDIT:

What I love about the quads is the presentation, clarity and imaging. The way the music is presented to you instead of flung at you. Son't if that makes sense.....

Anyway, the fonkens manage the same trick but maybe aren't just quite as smooth or as full in the bass - although in a smaller room might just be the ticket. Can't have everything I know.

Could anyone post a link to the sachiko + BVR? I've been looking but the frugal horn site is down? Or even email plans if you have them to hand easily.

Many thanks in advance

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.