How cheap can you get? ~$60 assembled pair w/ bamboo enclosures - offer advice. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2008, 04:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to -=Germania=-
Talking How cheap can you get? ~$60 assembled pair w/ bamboo enclosures - offer advice.

Guess I will start,

I decided a few weeks ago that I really did not have the proper space and ability to set up my 5.1 500W system in my dorm next year as I have a standard single and not a "double as a single".

I looked around for small speakers that sounded good and nothing that was palatable was under $100 (a price that if they get knocked over or drinks spilled on them that I could live with).

So I decided to go super cheapo.....

The enclosure I am going to use it actually two Walmart Bamboo stackable Drawers done one on top of the other (the same ones I am using to make the enclosure for my active ground Millet SS and Power supply) and the single full range driver is the MCM 55-1854 (very similar to the 55-1853, but with lower distortion and better bass response - basically a next gen version at the same price). I picked this driver because of a few reasons: relatively easy to drive, Freq response, low distortion, CHEAP!). Zaph at Zaphaudio.com also seems to love them for many projects.

The enclosures cost just above $10 each (not including the gluing and other building/refenforcement). I know that I will have to renforce the front because of thickness and the frame style fo the driver, plywood will have to do. The back will be partially or fully open according to design. Closed is not needed since they will be close to a wall corner "ala Frugalhorn".

I am unsure about the size of the front port or doing the angles. If you have any suggestions - it would be appreciated!

Pics:
Click the image to open in full size.

w/ possible angles and extra backing panel
Old 10th September 2008, 05:56 PM   #2
squib is offline squib  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how's this for an alternative enclosure?

I'm a little confused about your plans:

"The back will be partially or fully open according to design. Closed is not needed since they will be close to a wall corner "ala Frugalhorn".
I am unsure about the size of the front port or doing the angles. If you have any suggestions - it would be appreciated!"

Do you mean the back of the speaker enclosure? If you leave the rear of the speaker enclosure open, a port on the front baffle won't serve any acoustic function. If you are going to use a "standard" vented design, you'll need to know the net volume of the finished enclosure and the T/S parameters of your MCM drivers to calculate the port length and cross-sectional area.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "doing the angles." Do you mean joining the plywood baffles you will make to the drawer boxes, or chamfering around the rear-side of the driver cut-out, or something altogether different?

Here's another cheap option for a small bamboo box link . I just picked up a couple of the 24cm by 13cm by 10cm versions at ikea for some cheapo bipoles using the B-Stock Aura NS3-193's at Madisound. Ikea has them in a couple of different dimensions (16cm x 16cm, 20cm3), and they are pretty well constructed with nice box joints. Each panel is ~12mm thick (0.5 in), if I recall correctly. I'll be using some left over maple for the front baffles. After this, I'm getting away from the Aura's, as I've already fallen into a rut at the very beginning of my DIY audio habit... err, hobby.

So, my costs for the pair: $12 x 4 for driver + $6 x 2 for boxes = $60.

I'll be running mine sealed.
Old 10th September 2008, 06:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Orignally by-=Germania=-

The back will be partially or fully open according to design. Closed is not needed since they will be close to a wall corner "ala Frugalhorn"...I am unsure about the size of the front port or doing the angles...
I may be missing something but I thought that you needed an airtight enclosure to recieve any benefit from a port. If the back is open it is basicly and open baffle and if the back is partially open then that's a port right there.

Do you have any more info on those drawers? A fairly large bamboo box would have a lot of uses.

Let us know how it progresses.
Old 10th September 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They look similar to these, except that they are grooved to be used stacked together.

[IMG]javascriptpenWindow('/browse/big_product_pic.jhtml?PRODID=10012612', 650 , 600, 'yes')[/IMG]

The walmart ones also come in:

3" x 6" x 2.5" (might be good for small power supply)

6" x 12" x 2.5" ( I almost used these, but it was more cumbersome for my purpose)

All of the Walmart ones are groved to be stacked on the bottoms.

Bamboo can be harder to work with because it is stiff and rather slippery.

What will be funny is that my Headphone Amp and power supply will match entirely with my speakers!
Old 10th September 2008, 07:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the pic of similar ones:
Old 10th September 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is nearly identical - I hope you can see the propotion of it.

Old 10th September 2008, 10:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Ikea hacker

Off topic but of possible interest:

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/

That MCM unit had an unusual spec or two, but modeling it with what is given
in the description in the BIB calculator gave a slender but tall box.

I guess it's a toss up as to which would be a better conversation piece.

But the BIBs would fit almost anywhere and possibly be fairly lightweight.
Old 12th September 2008, 01:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
what about using a large bamboo cutting board and doing a OB that way?
Old 12th September 2008, 02:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Some interesting ideas for pre-fab enclosures. Here's another possible candidate.

Might be a good kit to mod, you can always plug the port, stuff the box, or replace the speaker. Not too sure about the included driver though, it seems to be the little-known Tang Band W3-832SE which the same seller has posted in other listings.

Figured i'd just throw some other ideas out there
Old 12th September 2008, 07:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That tang band speaker was considered, but I decided to go my own way. The laminate looks kinda cheezy to me. Plus, it seemed much less like a project I could learn from and take pride in. I also would have to wait for international shipping.

With this setup, I will learn more and have something that matches the other things I am making or have made.

Hide this!Advertise here!