How cheap can you get? ~$60 assembled pair w/ bamboo enclosures - offer advice. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool idea!

I was just over at Bambooharwoods todayBamboo Hardwoods in Seattle today. Plenty of cool stuff.

The Walmart drawers are fun and should be pretty cheap. FWIW, bamboo makes a nice sounding speaker box. I should know, I've built a few. =)
Old 13th September 2008, 05:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to -=Germania=-
I guess it would make sense that it would be. The long - very consistent grain, strength, and it seems like it might be able to be used almost like a sound board if done thin enough.

I am building them today and tomorrow - will update about SQ. I heard the speakers just hooked up to one of my headphone amps (SS) and it got pretty loud with that 4 ohm impedance - room filling almost! A SI-Gen 2 T-Amp will be powering these and its seems like that will be more than enough.

Just done open, the sound was agreeable - but lacking bass. I could see it and feel it coming deep from the little driver, but open I didn't hear all that much. What do you expect from a $13 4" driver? Hopefully I can configure the box to give a bit more. I laid out the box differently after being a bit more realistic about some things (like center of gravity). I have it marked out as being in the center ( so no front port - which was just for volume anyway). The back piece will probably be in the center so that it send the volume up/down and out.

Even if they sound pretty average in the end , it is a learning experience and they will look much nicer than anything in this price range. Will post later once done.
Old 15th September 2008, 08:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default finished product

Click the image to open in full size.

Overall, I am VERY happy with the look and the performance.

The Bass got much better an the little 4" driver transmits bass that is deep enough to be felt through the floor in a medium sized room with carpet with them on a TV stand.

They easily fill a Medium room to ear splitting levels using 3-5W of power. I actually annoyed people down the hall and one floor down on that amount of power. I dare say that you could likely run these on a computer sound card for small rooms or as computer speakers.

The enclosure actually amplifies the sound pretty well.

Sound is clear and pretty balanced. I was expecting it to be anemic and it really isn't. Sound like $250-300 store bought speakers for a pair in terms of clairty and balance (CC and BB) where I was doing listening and those speakers were much larger. Yeah, they are not the best, but I was just looking for something purpose built and a fun project.

This is my first speaker build and my first design.

I am just happy to not lug the Surround system to school this year again. It is just too much for a small room.
Old 15th September 2008, 09:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Nicely done. The Open back IIRC on a shelf should give very pleasing results.

Open back was my first foray into using the FE127e in an enclosure about the size as yours.

Mine was a mini enclosure hack where I removed the original parts and put in the Fostex. GM was the brains behind that.

I am still looking for the first original contribution I can make to the
hobby after all these years.
Old 15th September 2008, 09:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I found that the back plate was the key to getting the "correct" sound. When it was completely open in the back, it did not seem as full or rich in the mids. It also made the "sweet spot" larger.

My knowledge bass is not in speakers (headphones), so I am pretty sure that there can be design improvements here. I wonder what a triangle piece in the center of the back plate would do? Have a curved funnel to a down firing bass tube? Variation in the slot sizes?

It might be a fun little project for little cash and be good for garage speakers or just when something small and nice looking is needed for background.

They are not HI-FI, but Mid-fi...yeah sure.
Old 1st October 2008, 05:11 AM   #16
chicks is offline chicks  United States
diyAudio Member

Your project piqued my interest, time to build something! I have a Freecom MusicPal internet radio that has a built-in speaker, but it sounds awful. It needs an amp an a pair of small speakers. I've been eyeballing this for a while:

http://www.stootsi.com/store/item.aspx?item=55407721

A pair of full-range 3" speakers and a 15W+15W T-amp for $21 shipped...

So, I went to WallyMart to check out the boxes. Noticed that none of them fit together too well, but found what I thought would be a cool alternative in the kitchen section - cylindrical bamboo "tool holders", and bamboo banana trees. Also got a box to house the amp and set the MusicPal on.

The cylinders are about 1.8 liters in volume each, so maybe someone will suggest how to get the best sound from them while I wait for the Psyclone to be delivered (Oct. 7th).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1043.jpg (60.1 KB, 2829 views)
Old 1st October 2008, 05:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Those are "way cool" nice little mid box / set them on top of a woofer box with a tweeter perched on top/ or any small full range with simple connector on the back.
Good find, what is the diametre of the opening??
Old 1st October 2008, 05:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Do these give you ideas?

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...TotallyTubular
Old 1st October 2008, 03:20 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chicks
Your project piqued my interest, time to build something! I have a Freecom MusicPal internet radio that has a built-in speaker, but it sounds awful. It needs an amp an a pair of small speakers. I've been eyeballing this for a while:

http://www.stootsi.com/store/item.aspx?item=55407721

A pair of full-range 3" speakers and a 15W+15W T-amp for $21 shipped...

So, I went to WallyMart to check out the boxes. Noticed that none of them fit together too well, but found what I thought would be a cool alternative in the kitchen section - cylindrical bamboo "tool holders", and bamboo banana trees. Also got a box to house the amp and set the MusicPal on.

The cylinders are about 1.8 liters in volume each, so maybe someone will suggest how to get the best sound from them while I wait for the Psyclone to be delivered (Oct. 7th).

The Psyclone looks just about the right size and shape and price.
But it looks like it needs to be docked to get power.

Please continue the discussion on this if not here, in the appropriate forum (which I never get straight.)

The goal is to get sound from the sound card AC'97 of my computer motherboard to listen to streaming audio from broadband.
Old 1st October 2008, 03:53 PM   #20
chicks is offline chicks  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
Good find, what is the diametre of the opening??
A bit over 4". If the speakers in the Psyclone are the same as those in my Sonic Impact T24 (which I suspect they are), they'll fit here with room to spare. Just need some pointers on bass reflex porting vs. sealed, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!