Dayton RS100S-8 projects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like everyone else, I fell in love with full range drivers. Most of my listening is done on axis from 3-6ft (desktop is my source).
Im finishing up a 3-CR build from the parts express showcase section, but Im using the new dayton rs100s-8's (which are very very impressive thus far).

So, at some point im going to need a center channel to compliment them...this is what i've come up with so far. Volume distrobution and port configuration/ size isnt to scale, havent gotten that specific yet.

6CRSlim2.jpg

This is my first post here so bear with me.

I just bought a pair of these very drivers and I have to say that I am impressed. They sound very clean throughout their range and have good enough top end for me to not desire a tweeter.

JDC, that is some box! I hope you will get quite a bass reward. It will not be an easy build.

Right now mine are sitting in their shipping boxes arranged like a short TL angled toward my ears. I'm planning on placing them either IB, OB, or possibly a BL Helical Horn to improve the bass response a bit. These will be used for a portable audio system so the BLH is not likely, but a small sub is.

Kesai, how big is your OB and can you describe the charactor of the sound a bit? What frequency are you planning on crossing them over at or do you have them crossed over at now? I was thinking about 120Hz with a 12db/octave crossover as to avoid their poor bass performance/high distortion region and hand it over to something better equipt for the job. What do you think?

Thanks for any input here! These are definitely great drivers!

Godzilla,
My guess is that these won't sound as dynamic or strong as the Jordans but probably have less beaming in the treble d/t their size. I think these pretty much require a woofer or some very extravagant loading to get any bass from them. The Jordans are bigger, less overall distortion, lower resonance, lower Qt and higher SPL by 5dbs! So maybe like a mini Jordan would be my guess. It would be very interesting to hear them side by side. They are definitely in the same camp of ideals, but at 2 different levels of price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.