Questions regarding HiVi M4N and messing with speaker box sizes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. First post here but have spent a lot of time on these pages searching for designs and looking at various projects. 4 weeks ago I wasn't aware that the DIY scene was thriving so well. I thought good speakers could only be bought from audio-shops.

This will be my first speaker project so I intend to keep it extremely simple e.g. butt joins for boxes ( avoiding curves like in some of the amazing horns I've seen), no filters etc. First few of many questions:

1) How's the HiVi M4N for use as a single driver fullrange design. Here are the details off their webpage:M4N manufacturer data

The reason is that its cheaply available here. The Fostex website recommends a few of their 3" or 4" be built with Double Bass Reflex enclosures to help with the bass output. But before I buy a Fostex driver (read really expensive postage) I wanted to experiment with this HiVi.

3) Is it ok to change the box dimensions like width and depth, while keeping the volume the same off a constructed speaker box plan from a manufacturer website. I assume there will be some ill effects but will they be drastic or minor?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.