What to do with Hemp CO8Vs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;)

I suspect that the Bozak cones had some in. They seemed to have just about everything, including tar IIRC, so a bit of hemp probably found its way into the mix at some point.

In the interests of objectivity, I suppose I should point out that HA are using a different material, which they're pleased to call their Hempmatrix, and is clearly stated on their site. In fairness, this is actually mentioned on the audiomagus site too, under the specifications section, although the stuff above it should indeed be removed IMO as to the best of my knowledge it's inaccurate.

AFAIK, the TT / Hemptone cone is propriety, & no longer used by HA, but it's not patented -as Dave points out, it'd probably be difficult / pointless to patent anyway.

Hi... Thought I should step up and post some information:

Tonetubby does not hold a patent. A provisional patent was applied for, but has not processed.

It is highly unlikely any patent will be granted Tonetubby (or anyone else) as there is nothing unique or original in the claim (Hemp has been used in cones for decades). Also, the Tonetubby app is specific to manila hemp (We use true cannabis hemp.) and a US patent has already been issued to a Japanese inventor for the use of manila hemp (although what made it unique was the way in which silk fiber is used).

The text about "100% percent natural hemp" was clumsiness on my part. I wrote and posted the update a bit late the other night. What I was trying to get across is that we use real hemp (cannabis), not that the cone was all hemp.

BTW: We are coming out with a new line of drivers and speakers with a proprietary blend of fibers called TRUhemp. It uses cannabis, bamboo and other fibers.

Hope that puts this to rest.

Mike
Audiomagus

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jmwyatt said:
Also, the Tonetubby app is specific to manila hemp

I had heard a rumour about that. If indeed that is what they are using then there is NO hemp in a HempTone speaker.

The only relation that manila fibre has to hemp is a marketing one -- after hemp was made illegal in 1938 (?) the US government started calling manila fibre,manila hemp so that people would know that it was a legal replacement for hemp -- not as good thou, during the war hemp was made legal for war use, particularily for rope & canvas)

dave

I've avoided this thread for a reason...

Regardless of your personal feelings about Hemp Acoustics/ Omega/ Tone Tubby one ought not make comments regarding this. These arguments have all happened in the past on this very site, so there is no need to continue on. I know exactly the source of Dave's frustration with Hemp Acoustics. I understand Tone Tubby (A. Broun Sound) and I have an idea concerning Omega Speakers.

I am not here defending Perry, except to point out that there are differences, and if patents are in effect, I would expect lawsuits to be-a-flying, cross borders...
I provide a little DIY help when I can concerning the Hemp Acoustics (Canada) products, and only if I am personally familiar with them. Other than that I have no vested interest in Hemp Acoustics, other than as mentioned.

I agree with Dave (and others) Perry's "supply" is dubious at best. But any who have used the product seems to like them. That includes panomaniac, the maker of the
Lotus Acoustics™ White Lotus Series WL8 Speaker. Having used the FR8s in a number of cabinets I can say that they are very good. (also note I receive no monetary or other considerations from Hemp Acoustics or any other manufacturers). I hope Perry can do something about supply, else pano and others who have used the Hemps will be forced elsewhere for drivers.

stew

FR8's

Perry readily admits that supply has been his greatest problem. I've come to understand this firsthand as we (Audiomagus/Lotus Acoustics) have worked with him on the latest version of the 8-inch fullrange. We've been waiting a while for the driver -- and the wait has gummed up our release of the WL8 -- but I don't hold Perry responsible. I've been privy to the process through each step, and I now have great sympathy for driver manufacturers like HEMP.

Good news is that the drivers are coming and the WL8, WL4.5 and several other designs will be ready in time for RMAF.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.