New Canadian Single Fullrange Driver Cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a friend from Canada that's sending me a pair of cabinets he designed called "Angels." This is a pair that he wasn't happy with the finish with so they're being sent as a gift provided I send him my comments of their sonics with various 8 inch Single Fullrange Drivers I have available to me.

They'll be tested with Radio Shack Americana's, Fostex FE206E's, Fostex FE206ES-R's, plus some friends Lowther's, AER's and possibly National 8P-W1's as well! I've attached a photo showing Front, Side & Rear for all to see. Any comments?

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste.

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 674
Wouldn't it just be a guessing game, putting various drivers in a cab that wasn't specifically designed for them? I don't believe you would be getting the most out of each of those drivers by that method, and if one of the drivers starts to sound really good, it's only the luck of the draw IMO.... Dave:)

Yes putting various drivers in a cab that wasn't specifically designed for them would just be a guessing game!

But as my friend isn't happy with their finish and is giving them to me anyway, I offered to try the various 8in fullrange drivers I had lying around and tell him what I thought of how they performed in his cabinets.

As is, he uses a Hemp coaxial 8inch reworked specifically for his cabinet, which is a very simple configuration that provides a 6ft horn length that couples with the room corner.

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste.

Sounds like it would be fun to do, and who knows you may get really lucky :)
I'd like to know what you think of your AER drivers? Do you have the Mk1 or? Does it seem like they are the 100db sens or more rating as specified? How do they compared to your other drivers? Sorry for all the questions but I've been intrigued with the AER for a long time now, and I try to gather as many tidbits as I can.. Dave:)

Dave I don't own the AER's, Lowther's or National's. Actually like an idiot I sold the Nationals to this friend! These previously mentioned drivers are owned by two different audio friends, who I'm quite sure will either let me borrow them or else they'll bring them over for an audition.

I own the Fostex FE206E's, the limited edition FE206ES-R's that are no longer made and the Radio Shack Americanas. I also own a pair of 5 inch phenolic cone fullrange drivers that look quite similar to the RCA ones used by the military.

I'm a newly converted single fullrange driver aficionado having recently purchased a pair of Madisons ---{see attached photo}--- from CarderSound. The Madisons are called the Sachikos ---{one of the Spawn family}--- on the Frugal-Horn site http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html and are manufactuered under license by Jeff Carder!

Thetubeguy1954

Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!

Attachments

• my system now.jpg
    my system now.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 281
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.