Wood cone speakers for Frugel-horn or other DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EmergencyDpt said:
I'm making a frugal horn (www.frugal-horn.com) to go with my amp. These speakers use a single driver and rely on expertly designed wave guides to reinforce the sound. You can have a very low power source and still have a decent sounding speaker. Best of all it's a diy.
I'm putting together a group buy for wood cone speakers. Of course they have some draw backs because the increased mass of the cone. However they look fantastic.
Each 6.5 inch, 8 ohm speaker driver will cost you $40 plus delivery to your house. I need a minimum order of 50 but I'm willing to buy the last 10 on credit and sell them later if I can get 40 paid for in advance.
Please see this link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...threadid=128753
If you have any questions, you are welcome to ask. These retail for $79.99.
Check out the group buy for a speaker as cool looking as your amp.

according to that link, these have a limited HF response. you'll need a tweeter. so not really FR driver w/ 6k upper limit. but they do look great!

EmergencyDpt said:
Excellent, excellent work! Congratulations. I really think you have something to be proud of.

Most people go thier entire lives without a single contribution to humanity but you have really left a legesy.

I congratulate and thank you for our work.

Your humble admirer,
-Spencer

I will second. Planet10 and his cohorts deserve DIY knighthoods...

1954 mentioned JVC. At work we had a JVC rep 'round who demo'd some wood-woofered MTM's, 3" woofers... Had a whole dog and pony show about how JVC had developed the wood cone unilaterally (I doubt that) and it was their unique patented technology (double-doubt) etc. After all the yakkity yak he left us some speakers to hear.

Not bad.. Especially for something with a major electronics brand on it.

But agressively low-tuned, lots of break-up between 45-100Hz methinks. Overall a speaker that sacrificed performance for looks and specs. Go figure.

sacrificed performance for good looks and specs

Isn't that what we're talking about here? A good horn drive cone loudspeaker should have an extremely light cone (and good magnetic coupling). I love good horn cabinets, but finding drivers nowadays which give optimal results with this loading is not easy; power handling and low resonance have become the targets, not air coupling (after all, if it's a few dBs quieter, just boost the amp power).

Designing a pressure driver for low cone excursions is not the same as designing a piston to work in a ported enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.