bib driver position - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
skite30 is offline skite30  United States
diyAudio Member

Default bib driver position

I am new here and I am thinking about building a bib for my 165 drivers. I searched but didn't find this question anywhere. I was wondering if it makes any difference if you turn the bib sideways and mount the driver on the side instead of the front?
Old 26th August 2008, 09:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It actually could provide superior performance, so long as there's sufficient clearance for the magnet of course.
Old 27th August 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It would fit into my room a lot better mounted that way. Would I need to change the way the interior baffle is positioned, move it sideways or leave it alone?
Old 27th August 2008, 09:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can't move the internal baffle without completely changing the entire cabinet design. Your best bet would be to use a different WxD ratio, while preserving the desired cabinet volume.
Old 27th August 2008, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yea that is what I figured but wanted to be sure. the plans I have call for a cabinet of 68 in. x 8.5x16.25. I thought mounting the 165 on the wide side shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help
Old 27th August 2008, 08:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Should be sufficient. Good luck with the project.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

>>> the plans I have call for a cabinet of 68 in. x 8.5x16.25. I thought mounting the 165 on the wide side shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like a pair of those! Fortunately the Fostex 165k is not very bulky in the rear. They look rather 'basic' without any bells or whistles. They are probably about half the depth of my older 168S and fit without any trouble at all into my BIB with plenty of room before the inner baffle. Let us know if your dimensions fit the driver for a sideways 165 BIB. I think it will turn out great! You may need to double up the front to create more space. Keep us posted.

As i said above, i recently added wings to my BIBs. But i also have plans to add a 4cf subwoofer and have been playing with supertweeters for a couple months. I know there are many solutions for great sound but the 165 in a BIB at the heart of a system is really a nice way to enjoy great sound.

Godzilla

My BIBs here http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-165k-bib.htm
Old 28th August 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am on vacation first week in sept. and plan on getting started on them then.
Old 1st September 2008, 06:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla

As i said above, i recently added wings to my BIBs. But i also have plans to add a 4cf subwoofer and have been playing with supertweeters for a couple months. I know there are many solutions for great sound but the 165 in a BIB at the heart of a system is really a nice way to enjoy great sound.

Godzilla

My BIBs here http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-165k-bib.htm

Please post picks of your cabs with the wings. I'm considering this build to replace a set of Madisound BK16 cabs using 165's.

Hide this!Advertise here!