Lowther EX2 repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a Ex4 that went dead a few times.. not easy to repair or test.. but here goes
i would suspect that the soldered joint where the flexible copper standed wire connects onto the cone and is soldered to the voice coil tails

so the back needs to come off, a big sharp screwdriver should prise it off

you need to confirm the fault by connecting up a ohms meter to the speaker connections and proding with a fine screwdriver at the joints with luck will reveal which connection is faulty.. if indeed, any of them are?

once you find the fault.. assuming it is these connections at fault

you have a choice.. part exchange for a new one... or wish you had part exchanged...if you decide to repair..

a 'sharp' hot soldering iron will burn away the glue, you need to clean the voice coil tails as they are coated, i used a sharp blade to scrap them clean, re solder, and then glue them back down with lots of pva..

i repaired one speaker a couple of times over a 3 year spell
i then part exchanged for a new one..

the new one had instuctions to run the speakers at very low volume for a few minutes at turn on to let the voice coil wires time to warm up.. to prevent this problem happening...

hope that make sense

steve

Lowther repair.

From the Lowther website, the Canadian distributor's information:

Mr Barnaby Ng
Quinceton Corporation
242 Holmes Ave
Toronto
Ontario
Canada M2N 4N1
Phone: 001 416 818 4242
Fax: 001 416 850 5217
Web Site: http://www.quinceton.com
email: barnaby@quinceton.ca

FYI, you can buy a new cone and install it. If Mr. Ng cannot help you let me know, and I would be happy to work with you.

Hi!

I have repaired a few ones over the years and do agree thet the most probable fault is indeed a failing solder joint between the vc wire and the litz leading out to the binding post. The way to determine if it is is to gently scrape the vc wire between the vc former and the joint to get bare metal and measure between it and the binding posts. If it is and you want to make a repair that lasts you need to first cote the bare vc wire with a solder that is formulated for soldering aluminium and then solder it with ordinary 60/40 solder. I have used a solder called alu-sol 45D, it is around 20 years old by now and i do not know if it is still available though.

Good Luck!

Anders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.