Where do I buy C37 lacquer at low cost?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chuck,

What 4 inch drivers are you trying to work with? The C37 lacquer is just another form of finish that has been promoted as having a "superior" or even magical sound when applied to speaker cones, and just about anything else that has anything to do with the sound of a system. FWIW, a couple a coats applied to your fillings has probably been touted somewhere on the forums.

There are many, many forms and formulas of magic goos and goops for modifying the characteristics of a speaker cone, and they are not the same and do not have the same effects.

So, you must determine what you're attempting to accomplish, what the perceived faults are and what you would like to see happen. Some drivers are fairly well known and certain treatments have been generally acknowledged to help. There are also instances when the cone should be left alone as cone damping will have a negative effect.

I guess I didn't answer your question about C37:(
The short answer to finding a cheap source is: You Don't ! It's the creation of a fellow in Europe and AFAIK, he's the sole source of this stuff. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, there are many here with lots of experience modifying drivers and are more than willing to help, without attempting to pick your pocket. ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:
Chuck,

What 4 inch drivers are you trying to work with? The C37 lacquer is just another form of finish that has been promoted as having a "superior" or even magical sound when applied to speaker cones, and just about anything else that has anything to do with the sound of a system. FWIW, a couple a coats applied to your fillings has probably been touted somewhere on the forums.

There are many, many forms and formulas of magic goos and goops for modifying the characteristics of a speaker cone, and they are not the same and do not have the same effects.

So, you must determine what you're attempting to accomplish, what the perceived faults are and what you would like to see happen. Some drivers are fairly well known and certain treatments have been generally acknowledged to help. There are also instances when the cone should be left alone as cone damping will have a negative effect.

I guess I didn't answer your question about C37:(
The short answer to finding a cheap source is: You Don't ! It's the creation of a fellow in Europe and AFAIK, he's the sole source of this stuff. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, there are many here with lots of experience modifying drivers and are more than willing to help, without attempting to pick your pocket. ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Nail, head - direct hit

woody said:
I sure don't know where to get this cheap but there are cheap
subsitutes like damar varnish. Perhaps you might look at the EnABL kit.

Bud's recommended materials for EnABL treatment are acrylic based and nothing like either damar varnish or the incredibly priced C37, which IINM are both based on volatile organic solvents.

Tang Band W-616

Tang Band W4-616. I've really liked this driver but its harsh breakups when running full-range become all too obvious within 5-10 minutes of listening.
So Thanks to help from Planet 10, I got some Mod-Podge from Jo-Ann Fabrics, thinned it about 50% and put it on the driver. No problem since it was unlistenable in its stock form.
The good news is the driver is now listenable and retains most of its original qualities without the harshness. I measure better H-F extension - like 16K vs. 13 K before treatment. In short, after 2 years of testing drivers, I have finally found a driver superior to my W3-871s, IMHO.
The bad news is the driver has lost some light and life. Sound is sort of dead and less dynamic. Is it the loss of breakups? No, I think it is a true loss of sound quality, not just the smoothing out of the sound.
Yes, I may have put on too much Mod-Podge although the GAIN in H-F extension indicates otherwise. According to Planet 10, too much would make LESS H-F.
Anyhow, Dave likes C37 lacquer of the FR-125. Another paper cone I am familiar with. I have the feeling the C37 would smooth out the driver without deadening the sound. WHY? Because Mod-Podge is soft and gummy, lacquer is harder and more brittle.

As for EnAbl. Dave told me EnAbl does something completely different. Now that I have the breakups under control, I will be EnAbl'ing the W4-616 for the better clarity.

For paper cones that are dark grey you could always use Visaton LTS 50 which is water based and easy to apply. It doesn't stiffen the cone and cone flexibity remains as before. It dampens the cone and helps control the fibres AFAIK. I imagine it also helps on humidity control.

I tried it with some Revelators 18W8531G00 that I was given after they had been assaulted by some children. After panel beating and application of a few coats, they work well and haven't lost any of their charm and still seem to have the tonal quality of my untreated ones but with a slight bit of added smoothness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.