Full range vs. quality studio monitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2008, 08:01 PM   #11
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd

In the smaller studios, nearfield was the only serious monitoring available. Not surprising that the dynamic range eventually got squashed out of records.

My only thought is that you aren't likely to find great-sounding speakers (or BLH's!) used as nearfield monitors in a recording studio.........

True, and today it's becoming more common for lowest-common-denominator 'boom-box' and/or ipod doc speakers to be used in the final mix down to ensure its target audience gets a suitably compressed recording.

Unfortunately, gone is the golden era of studio monitors when Harry O's RCA 15" 'FR' driven BL corner horn ruled in the major studios before JBL (the man) designed Altec's duplex that did it as good/better overall in a wall mounted ducted port reflex cab since at the time it didn't need the BLH's extra octave.

GM
Old 9th August 2008, 10:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of B&W speakers (not sure the model but they look like they have a 7 inch woofer and a dome tweeter in a black ported box) and they have no life at all. Everything sounds dull thru these (flat?) and they need juice to play loudly. They have been in storage since my BIBs moved in. In fact, the Pioneer B20/Piezo also sound better in a similar sized sealed box IMO. Personally, i would pass on the B&W - but many like this type of sound (no personality). The Dynaudio monitors look like quality speakers but having used thier woofers and tweeters years ago when available to DIY community, i was never impressed with them preferring cheaper Morel tweeters and more efficient woofers from a handful of manufacturers. If you buy monitors from B&W or Dynaudio you will need power to bring the music to life - like 200 watts or more per channel, IMO. Using them with a Yamaha reciever now will allow you an upgrade path to better amps in the future. Just my opinion based on my experience. You will not get bad sound with any of the above tho, only different sound. As GM said, pick your poison.
Old 11th August 2008, 05:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well, everyone who has replied is confirming my suspicions. When I listened to a few $300-500 active studio monitors (Dynaudio BM5A, KRK, Yamaha, etc.) in the store, they all sounded very good close up. Most cover a wide range of 70 Hz to 20 KHz +/-3dB in a small size. Unfortunately, they indeed lack dynamics compared to the FE126E drivers that I am experimenting with at the moment. I really like the sensitivity, midrange, and coherency on this driver even when paired with a low power amp! They can go quite loud, but run out of excursion quickly if truly used full range. Less than 200 Hz and the FE126 starts to struggle. Fortunately, it seems to have little audible distortion beyond the 0.3 mm Xmax. It does seem somewhat "thin" sounding at the moment though.

I have never heard a full range back loaded horn and remain skeptical. The a126 design seems worth the build. I have built custom heirloom quality studio furniture before, so the project shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The glue-up should be easier if rabbit joints are used in the construction. I may use a template and a template router bit so channels in each outer panel align. Eventually, the plan is to use a subwoofer with each channel. Is it more difficult to do this with back loaded horns?
Old 11th August 2008, 03:45 PM   #14
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schn0354
I have never heard a full range back loaded horn and remain skeptical. The a126 design seems worth the build. I have built custom heirloom quality studio furniture before, so the project shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The glue-up should be easier if rabbit joints are used in the construction. I may use a template and a template router bit so channels in each outer panel align. Eventually, the plan is to use a subwoofer with each channel. Is it more difficult to do this with back loaded horns? [/B]
The 126 your playing with will perform much different in a blh than what your experiencing now.. If you want to hear a full range bhl in a quick easy build then slap a BIB together and check it out. For the most refined and accurate then the A126 is the way to go... I don't think you'll be unhappy with either of those cabs especially in a small room...
Dave
Old 11th August 2008, 06:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

BIB Calculator here:

http://www.zillaaudio.com/bib-calculator.htm

I would build a BIB, save the money on the monitors and enjoy better sound.

Godzilla
Old 11th August 2008, 07:27 PM   #16
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have just finished a variant on the Harvey BVR for the FE126 and am still experimenting with stuffing, placement, etc. But preliminary results say that they are not bass-shy in this box. YMMV, of course, but so far I like them.

Regards.

Aengus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curved harvey 01.jpg (89.0 KB, 836 views)
Old 11th August 2008, 07:29 PM   #17
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

More photos please, I loved that Harvey
Old 11th August 2008, 07:36 PM   #18
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Nordic - music to my ears.

I'll put a some up in a Harvey thread in a couple of days when I have a bit more time.

There are currently a couple of detail shots here in the VanIsle DIYfest thread, for those of my fans who just can't wait.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 11th August 2008, 10:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Your Harvey's look great. They are art! Great base to stand them up on and great color scheme. I want!
Godzilla
Old 11th August 2008, 10:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have made a couple of full-rangers now, and I am beginning to conclude that they are best when supported with a sub.

But then I wonder - does it make sense to put a lot of effort into making a complex box to support FR's bass output if you plan to cross to a sub down low anyway? If you're gonna put up a sub, maybe it's best to just have a simple sealed box? Or something not-too-complex to cover the 100-200 hz area? I'm not sure how the balance of design changes if you've a sub in mind.

If you've got the space, ability, time and materials build yourself a big, cool box. Aengus' are certainly drop dead gorgeous! But now that I've got a sub to go with my big FR cabinets, I have to wonder if all that extra wood is rendered redundant by my sub.

Nelson Pass is supposedly preparing a paper about FR in sealed cab + Sub that I look forward to reading...

Once again, Aengus' build: glorious, stunning.

Hide this!Advertise here!