diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   alpair 5 from markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/127767-alpair-5-markaudio.html)

_henry_ 8th August 2008 09:38 AM

alpair 5 from markaudio

hi,

has anyone try alpair 5 from markaudio? i've been thinking and thinking to use fullranger and ssingle sdx7, either jx92s, or planet10's fe167en or alpair 5 which is kind of interesting

cheers

Scottmoose 8th August 2008 12:57 PM

They're brand new, so I doubt there'll be many people here who've had a chance to listen to them. Looks like they've had Ted Jordan's input (always a good thing) so I imagine they'll be pretty good, albeit low sensitivity & needing that supporting bass unit. From a brief look, the 2 way on the Markaudio site looks like a reasonable enough design if you want a bookshelf cabinet.

_henry_ 8th August 2008 03:33 PM

i'm just worried not enough SPL for big room, i;m planning to set it on 30 sq.m room

i seen some kits on css from occam audio, seems interesting also

i know u have an extensive listening with the jordans scottmoose, do u think its agood idea to pair jx92s with alpair?

cheers

tubesguy 8th August 2008 04:29 PM

I'm not scottmoose, and I have little experience with the Jordan and none with the alpair, but it seems to me that you'd use _either_ the Jordan or the alpair, and supplement whichever you choose with whatever is needed to approach full-range in a bookshelf design. With the alpair, you'd clearly need a woofer, and with the Jordan, you could possibly add a tweeter. The Jordan and the alpair overlap so much in terms of usable frequency response that it would seem like a waste to use both in one design. You'd have plenty of choices in terms of a crossover point, however, if you did. ;-) - Pat

_henry_ 8th August 2008 04:33 PM

yes pat, i think so. i have jx92s, and i find it very good, just the high not that detailed.

i just worried that the spl would not be enough for the alpair 5 to fill the room

thanks pat for ur opinion

planet10 9th August 2008 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Alpair was the Jordan J6T in a previous life. These are the parts that Mark Audio had all tooled up for Jordan before the dramatic events.

I have an unused pair here, Gregg the Geek and i have been playing with the J6T in preparation for these.

They fill the same niche as the FF85k, the jury is still out but the Fostex has the edge.

dave

_henry_ 9th August 2008 04:14 AM

dave, whats the woofer for the jx92s? u running open baffle?

can u pls tell me more?

cheers

_henry_ 9th August 2008 05:09 AM

i've been thinking to use hardwood for the enclosures, since its avail in the philippines, and they have 30cm planks with 2-3m length so i just thought its a good idea.

anyone?

chrisb 9th August 2008 05:23 AM

I think this is actually Greg the Geek's project, and the woofer is likely one of the Silver Flute drivers on sale at Madisound for less that $30 each.

polka dots are extra

planet10 9th August 2008 06:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by _henry_
whats the woofer for the jx92s? u running open baffle?
can u pls tell me more?
That is the Jordan J6T + Silver Flute 5 1/2".

It is Gregg the Geeks. I just did the drivers up for him.

dave