alpair 5 from markaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're brand new, so I doubt there'll be many people here who've had a chance to listen to them. Looks like they've had Ted Jordan's input (always a good thing) so I imagine they'll be pretty good, albeit low sensitivity & needing that supporting bass unit. From a brief look, the 2 way on the Markaudio site looks like a reasonable enough design if you want a bookshelf cabinet.

i'm just worried not enough SPL for big room, i;m planning to set it on 30 sq.m room

i seen some kits on css from occam audio, seems interesting also

i know u have an extensive listening with the jordans scottmoose, do u think its agood idea to pair jx92s with alpair?

cheers

I'm not scottmoose, and I have little experience with the Jordan and none with the alpair, but it seems to me that you'd use _either_ the Jordan or the alpair, and supplement whichever you choose with whatever is needed to approach full-range in a bookshelf design. With the alpair, you'd clearly need a woofer, and with the Jordan, you could possibly add a tweeter. The Jordan and the alpair overlap so much in terms of usable frequency response that it would seem like a waste to use both in one design. You'd have plenty of choices in terms of a crossover point, however, if you did. ;-) - Pat

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Alpair was the Jordan J6T in a previous life. These are the parts that Mark Audio had all tooled up for Jordan before the dramatic events.

I have an unused pair here, Gregg the Geek and i have been playing with the J6T in preparation for these.

They fill the same niche as the FF85k, the jury is still out but the Fostex has the edge.

dave

Attachments

• p8070004.jpg
    p8070004.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,424
i thought j6t need the box to work properly.

i'm looking something simple, and the kit from occam mt 27 seems suitable for my need (which i will power them with NAD c370, i dont have ewxperience with the tubes yet) they are well priced and comes with the passive, which helpful for beginner like me, but i do not know yet what design they are using, but they say crossed in 300hz area, so that will be a good start.

any opinion ?

thanks dave.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
_henry_ said:
i'm looking something simple, and the kit from occam mt 27 seems suitable for my need (which i will power them with NAD c370, i dont have ewxperience with the tubes yet) they are well priced and comes with the passive, which helpful for beginner like me, but i do not know yet what design they are using, but they say crossed in 300hz area, so that will be a good start.

any opinion ?

Is the occam the Alpair + ansd SDX7. I use the SDX7 alot. I don't know if Occam are doing the essential modification needed on the woofer. Even if not, it is easy to do yourself.

We've been playing with the FF85 + the SDX7 with fabulous results amd letting Gregg go ahead with Aplair/J6T project development.

Gregg's design is for those without the budget for SDX7.

dave

Hi,

There are two versions of the Alpair 5 and Occam uses the copper coloured one but it is not custom. The SDX7 as used is also stock.

There may be a modified version of the SDX7 available shortly.

We are eagerly awaiting the Alpair 6 (in both round and rectangular baskets) as well as the Alpair 10 bass and the Alpair 10 full range and expect that these will be available sometime in September. They will be shown at Rocky Mountain Denver in October in the Lucid/Occam/CSS room 2032.

Bob

CSS/XBL said:
Hi,

There are two versions of the Alpair 5 and Occam uses the copper coloured one but it is not custom. The SDX7 as used is also stock.

There may be a modified version of the SDX7 available shortly.

We are eagerly awaiting the Alpair 6 (in both round and rectangular baskets) as well as the Alpair 10 bass and the Alpair 10 full range and expect that these will be available sometime in September. They will be shown at Rocky Mountain Denver in October in the Lucid/Occam/CSS room 2032.

Bob

Wow, that's some exciting news.:D

_henry_ said:
yes pat, i think so. i have jx92s, and i find it very good, just the high not that detailed.

i just worried that the spl would not be enough for the alpair 5 to fill the room

thanks pat for ur opinion

I've tried them in a room of similar dimensions, crossed to an SDX7 at 300Hz, and wasn't all that happy with the effect. Imaging was so-so and they have an unnatural "lispy" (can't think of a better word) sound at higher frequencies

planet10 said:
The Alpair was the Jordan J6T in a previous life. These are the parts that Mark Audio had all tooled up for Jordan before the dramatic events.

I have an unused pair here, Gregg the Geek and i have been playing with the J6T in preparation for these.

They fill the same niche as the FF85k, the jury is still out but the Fostex has the edge.

dave

My quest to find a perfect partner for my SDX7s has led me to purchase pairs of not only Alpair5, but FF85k, FE127e, and FR125s. I have them crossed to the SDX7 (300Hz, active), and on a switchbox so I can compare them. Findings so far:

Alpair5 - see comments above

FF85k - what a magnificant little beast. Better power handling _henry_ than the Alpair5. Work very well with the SDX7. More natural sound than Alpair5. Seem to handle a wide range of music. I agree with dave (although my jury has reached it's verdict on this one).

FE127e - not impressed at first, but getting hooked as they break in. Certain types of music (vocals, classical) are quite hypnotic. More complex music can sound quite ordinary. Much more "forward" sounding than the FF85K. Match ok to SDX7.

FR125s - very versatile - actually have 2 pairs in bipole arrangement. Sound superb but a very different effect (much more mellow) than the other drivers I have. Match very well to SDX7.

The playing continues...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.