Basic questions for newb - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2008, 09:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Basic questions for newb

Hi all

I've been considering building some speakers for a couple of years now, and finally now able to do it, but there are still a load of things I'd like some advice on, if possible.

I definately want a full range, single driver set up.

I have been looking at the frugal horn websote, and have been considering something along these lines. (spawn) I was also thinking of either a TL type enclosure, (http://www.quarter-wave.com/Gallery/Gallery.html) or the fostex 208 cabinet (with the fostex 206e driver)

Now I have never heard any of these before but they are all supposed to be really good.

Currently I have a HK AVI100 with a NAD cd player + PC and some gale gold monitor bookshelf speakers. (and some wharfdale linton 2s)

Room Size is ~3x4 metres.(x2.5m high)
Mostly listen to rock / dance

I will be ordering an AMP6 kit, and it's fairly cheap and should be interesting to build. I shall probably couple this with a decent PC sound card (emu 404?) and maybe some kind of preamp to offer me multiple inputs...

Anyway...

I was very keen on the fostex 206e driver + fostex 208 cabinet. (WAF has been handled ) But are these just too big (sound wise) for the room? Any speaker would need to be against the wall/corner with maybe ~10 cm max around. The are said to have good deep bass slam (appealing), but HOW deep? deeper than my current setup? will it shake the floor/wall? Can they handle late night low volume listening?

The MT TL QW type enclosures. Reading around the links on the frugal horn website, indicates these are 'easy' to build (trapezoidal) and sound really surprisingly good. Use a smaller driver thean the 206e but suffer from lack of bass. Somepeople say these use also a SW in addition. Again, would I notice this 'lack of bass' (room size, comparison to the gales)? But they have a high WAF and are smaller than the 208 cabinets.

The spawn horns. These seem to be rated very highly, the height is not a problem and they have small floor area. How do these compare to say the 206e in the fostex cabinet? I think the 207 is one of the recommended drivers, would this provide a better alternative to the 206e.

Should I really be looking more at a 4" driver due to the room size?

Are there any scotland meets to go and hear some of this wonderful kit coming up anytime soon?

Hide this!Advertise here!