Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2008, 02:25 PM   #11
cjctan is offline cjctan  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Hmm. I make that 56.32 litres assuming those dimensions are internal, however a goodly portion of that volume will also be taken up by the internal panels. Nowhere near enough IMO for this unit. Where did the plans come from? I might be able to take a proper look at it to see what's happening (although I've got a fairly good idea as-is).

FWIW, the parallel cab. walls in this box won't be as much of an issue as it would be, in, say, a BR, given the convoluted path the airflow takes.

I have adopt this design from this website
http://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaa...ng-ag280z.html

There is a reference bookshelf design (Aperto) in the Hemp Acoustic website that makes me assumed that this driver can be use with small enclosure.
Old 30th July 2008, 04:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I thought as much.

Sure, if you can accept only moderate LF, cut-off being about 70Hz with that box.

I don't like to sound pessimistic, but I don't think there's a whole lot you're going to be able to do to improve this cabinet / driver combination -it just isn't going to work very well. Sorry. TBH, I'd probably write it off as a learning experience & get them into a more optimal cabinet design.
Old 30th July 2008, 05:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm with Scott on this one, the HempAcoustic drivers do tend to like a fairly largish box, and when you compare it to a FE-206 there is no reason for me to not believe that a box intended for a 206 is not going to even work slightly when using the FR-8C. I'd take Scotts advice and chalk this one up to a learing experince and rebuild some cabinets better suited to the FR-8C, like the suggested BR, or even a SPAWN family member.

If space is a real issue me thinks that picking a FR system kinda defates your end goal, think about it this way, I never heard a FullRange design I liked unless it was bilut as one, and these include huge OB, Transmission lines and long horn lengths, so space is going to be your main enemy in this design arena, sad but true....
Old 30th July 2008, 11:19 PM   #14
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Hemp Acoustics FR8C in Angular Spiral Enclosure

Quote:
Originally posted by cjctan

Hi, Thanks for the information.

Is the driver that you have from Hemptone?
In fact, I have read that the Hemp will sound very nice in OB design. I am using it in a small room which does not allow me to use OB design.

I guess I have chosen the wrong driver for my 1st pair of FR speakers
I got mine from Hemp Acoustics. Yes I mount this driver in an OB configuration yes it sounds nice, I use it as a 3-way speaker, x-over at 3.5K and 250Hz.
Old 31st July 2008, 02:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys!

Thank you all for sharing with me valuable information and experiences. I guess I will declare this project a failure mainly due to insufficient research on the drivers and enclosures.

Maybe I will buy a pair of FE206E to match this cabinet or build another cabinet (not in the near future).
Old 31st July 2008, 02:37 PM   #16
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cjctan
Hi Guys!

Thank you all for sharing with me valuable information and experiences. I guess I will declare this project a failure mainly due to insufficient research on the drivers and enclosures.

Maybe I will buy a pair of FE206E to match this cabinet or build another cabinet (not in the near future).

FE206E needs large cabinet, I am not sure your cabinet size is suitable, I suggest you do more research before buying.
Old 31st July 2008, 03:05 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well, in volume terms the box should be OK, although all the internal panels will reduce it a fair bit.

TBH, I'm not sold on these spiral designs -you can get a better response out of a straightforward BR, so, with the possible exception of driver-control, I'm not really sure what they're hoping to gain from them.
Old 31st July 2008, 07:23 PM   #18
REC1 is offline REC1  United States
diyAudio Member

To me it appears to be a basic poorly designed MLTL.
However the folding scheme is worth investigating.

Still takes a given volume. Cant beat physics.

ron
Old 31st July 2008, 10:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

the 206e also has a rising response and a few nasty peaks
and their published graphs arn't nearly as accurate as they should be.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF...ers/FE206E.pdf

but many have had luck with 206e in a back loaded horn.

Norman
Old 4th August 2008, 02:09 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your inputs.

Looks like the chance or finding a "drop-in" replacement for the FR8C with this enclosure is pretty slim.

Does the Panasonic Metal-FA driver sold in eBay a suitable candidate?

Hide this!Advertise here!