Interesting BLH From Sonido Of Hungary

I just saw a very interesting BLH design from Sonido of Hungary. Looks like for those with DIY skills it would be a fairly easy horn to build. I've attached a photo for you all to see.

Thetubeguy1954

Attachments

• aion from sonido.gif
    aion from sonido.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 3,374
That's the Aion. AFAIK, there are no measurements as yet. Indeed, that particular web page has been 'coming soon in English' (currently in Hungarian only) for the best part of 18 months (probably longer, as that's roughly how long I've been aware of the Sonido drivers). From a theoretical standpoint, it should be a decent performer.

I like the look of the drivers too -kind of Eastern European / ex-Soviet industrial chic, & I'd love to try a pair, but distribution seems to be minimal at best.

Sonido

Scottmoose said:
That's the Aion. AFAIK, there are no measurements as yet. Indeed, that particular web page has been 'coming soon in English' (currently in Hungarian only) for the best part of 18 months (probably longer, as that's roughly how long I've been aware of the Sonido drivers). From a theoretical standpoint, it should be a decent performer.

I like the look of the drivers too -kind of Eastern European / ex-Soviet industrial chic, & I'd love to try a pair, but distribution seems to be minimal at best.

Yes Scott you're 100% correct, it is the Sonido Aion speaker! When I first saw a photo of the Aion I thought it was the Sonido SFR200 in one of the Chang Family enclosures from the Frugal Horn site. I was pleasantly surprised when I clicked on the link and saw that wasn't correct. If anyone wishes to see a photo of the actual built enclosure click in this link: http://www.sonido.hu/hun/aion.htm

I, too, like their drivers. I was told they are only about $190ea but I cannot find any verification of that price on their site. If anyone is interested there are complete specs in a PDF form about their SFR200 8in single full range driver here: http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/sfr/sfr200-8.pdf

Damn Scott 18 months and they cannot even determine a price for their drivers yet? That's a bit discouraging...

Thetubeguy1954

There's some in Hungarian: http://www.sonido.hu/hun/arlista.htm

Running those through a currency converter gives:

SFR 144 = ~$121USD / £61
SFR 178 = ~$178USD / £90UK
SFR 200 = ~$242USD / £122UK

Probably best to contact them direct for anywhere outside of Hungary.

I haven't designed anything publically for them other than a simple BIB some time ago because they're so rare. For that reason alone I'd like to get hold of a pair, as you're not likely to meet many other people who have them. ;)

From a theoretical POV, based on their published specs., rather well & should have similar usable LF gain to what the 206 has in practice.

Let me know what they come back with -should you try it, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on. My only real query is there's no IB FR plot with that unit -they're of limited value as most manufacturers heavily smooth the graphs, but it does give a rough idea of the general trend. FWIW, from the few reports I've heard from users, I suspect a similar balance & detail to the Fostex units, but beyond that, I don't know, not having heard a pair.

Hi Scott & thetubeguy1954,
since few months I'm lucky owner of two SONIDO's SFR-200-8.

Some words about my experience with Sonido...
Commercial (Zoltan Varga) and technical (Istvan Varga) support is excellent.

Visual impression of speaker SFR-200-8 is very good - like on photo. It has very sturdy basket and excellent finish of rubber, both cones and wooden "nose".
Because of temporary changing of my plans (from design close to double Bruce horn to BR design) it's not possible objective to estimate the sound of speakers. Namely, SFR-200-8 are designed exclusively for use in horns. In spite of that have to say that the sound of mids and highs is very good, while bass is maybe a little bit thin (what is understandable!). I'm quite sure that AION is the optimal choice for SFR-200-8.
Now I'm waiting on Sonido speakers SWR-200-8 which are specially designed for use in BR boxes. Only than an objective final sound evaluation will be possible.
Until now I have nothing to complain!
BTW, Zoltan Varga has an excellent English knowledge (not like me ;-) )

At the end, dear Scott thank you very much for your livelong efforts
on fullrange thread! Your work is really admirable!
OK, also not to forget some others (planet10, ...)

Cheers,

My Reply From Sonido

For Scottmoose and anyone who's interested this is the reply I received from Zoltan Varga of Sonido ---{in less than 24hrs}--- about the cost of a pair of SFR 200-8 drivers shipped to Orlando, Fla. and how to pay for them.
=============================================
Dear Tom,

Thank you fo your message and interest in our products. A pair of SFR-200-8`s costs US$500 and the shipping to your location will be additional US$130.

We also have an alnico magnet version, the SFR-200-8A which bears the same parameters as the SFR-200-8. The model has evolved from the numerous requests that we redceived form our customers and thends to have a "mellower" sound to it. The SFR-200-8A is priced US$560.- for a pair.

Please take note of that the SFR line of our products were designed for Back-Loaded Horn application and will perform well only in this kind of configuration. If you rather more interested in some other designs we can recommend the SWR-200-8 which is designed for Bass Reflex application.

Payment: You will be able to pay either via Wester Union International Money Transfer or with a SWIFT International Wire Transfer. As soon as we receive your payment we will issue an invoice of your purchase and send a copy to you.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Best Regards,
Zoltan Varga (Mr.)
Sonido
==============================================
So there you have it. The SFR 200-8 now comes in an Alnico version and would cost $690pr ---{or $660 for the non-Alnico version}--- shipped to Orlando, Fla. Now where do I get $690?

Thetubeguy1954

See a couple of posts above.

They don't appear to have many (any?) distributors, and only take money via Western Union or some other form of wire transfer, which immediately rules them out as far as I'm concerned. Which is a pity; I've liked the look of them since I first heard about them a few years back (they've got that ex-Soviet engineering aesthetic going on, which appeals to me in a perverse sort of way), and I suspect they'd probably gain a wider following if they were easier to get hold of.

Last edited:
I've heard the 8" ferrite model for horn - it sounds good, worth the $ if you are in the European Union. Definitely better than a stock Fostex FE206e.

Scott is right, paying is only via Western Union or wire transfer (SWIFT) - that's what they told me when I asked about an year ago (I needed drivers for my second system but ended with an 207E to use it in Demetri - thanks Dave!)

I've heard the 8" ferrite model for horn - it sounds good, worth the $ if you are in the European Union. Definitely better than a stock Fostex FE206e.

Scott is right, paying is only via Western Union or wire transfer (SWIFT) - that's what they told me when I asked about an year ago (I needed drivers for my second system but ended with an 207E to use it in Demetri - thanks Dave!)
... and Zoltan from SONIDO is a very nice guy!
:cheers: (to you, to Zoltan & Istvan and, yes, again to Zen Mod - for Info!)

I e-mailed SONIDO and Mr. Varga responded promptly and quoted the following:

SFR 200-8/F (Standat driver) - 393,-USD/pair
SFR 200-8/A (ALNiCo driver) - 445,-USD/pair

Delivered to the USA - 127,-USD ( 3 day)

Payment is by SWIFT wire transfer. I'am not to comfortable with wire transfer without knowing much about the company. Good to hear he is a nice guy.

BDP

Attachments

• SFR200.doc
    57 KB · Views: 190
  • SFR200-A.doc
    57 KB · Views: 158
Good to hear he is a nice guy.
BDP
To be more concrete:
I´ve bought 2 speaker pairs from Sonido (SFR-200, SWR-200).
Payment & delivery always flew without any problem.
And, to me very important: individual support per e-mail (after delivery!) was enormous and very kind. Not to mention our large "philosophical debates"...
So, my expirience with Sonido guys is exellent!
:cheers:

Hi all,
here is a three-dimensional (in 4Pi space) simulation report on Sonido horn with 175 driver.
Please look at the files attached. LEAP-ready data (for crossover design if necessary) is also included.
Distance to mic is 2 m.

The narrow peaks can be reduced with damping material.

Regards,
Alexander

3D Acoustic research Team

Attachments

• result_SPL.GIF
    result_SPL.GIF
    11.9 KB · Views: 964
  • sonido_175_horn_4Pi_radiation.zip
    93.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited: