FOSTEX FE126 in Fostex BR Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Being new to Fullrange drivers, I thought to start out with the Fostex FE126. I've built speakers in the past, mainly largish TL,s, but never been into fullrange territory before. I gather (from reading posts) that the standard BR may not be too highly thought of compared with other enclosures, but decided on this initially as it's a Fostex design and very simple to build. My question is, no stuffing or lining is shown on the diagram - is this an oversite? and, are Zobel networks not used on FR drivers? I've seen no mention of them on the site(may have missed it of course!). Sorry if my queiries are 'old hat' but couldn't find anything on this. Any help welcomed

Thanks,

David.

PS - Anyone in the UK know of available equivelant products to the 'driver treatment's' mentioned in posts?

I have only heard one set of 126s in these enclosures. I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed considering how small and simple the design was.

No stuffing or lining and no crossover.

It did benefit from an added subwoofer of very small stature. The 126 would only extend to probably 60 or 70 hz before it was running out of umph, but it never broke up badly and honestly sounded very relaxed to me.

In the same session I heard the 126 in a BLH and in a TL. While they were better overall performers, I can say that I wouldn't have minded listening to the BR all day long.

Probably not the best I ever heard, but a LONG way from bad in any respect.

Hope the review helps. It isn't technical and I couldn't begin to describe the differences in it and the other enclosures I have heard in a way that might help, but thought I would chime in to say that I liked the sound I heard from it.

Take care,
Robert

FWIW, I'd suggest going with the 127, not the 126. Bit more linear excursion, so you'll have less LF distortion in a simple box.

There's little wrong with the BR box for what it is -just that you can do better for little extra effort, so it'd be worth your while looking around a little more before making a final decision.

You can get matched and either fully or partially modified drivers from Dave P10 www.planet10-hifi.com -the latter are about the same as you'd pay for stock units from Wilmslow, the former somewhat more but heavily tweaked. You'll also find the Fonken family of boxes on his site, which should all offer substantially better performance than the Fostex BR, and aren't really much more complicated, especially the mFonken.

Fostex FE126 in BR enclosure

Thanks to Robert and Sir John for their interesting replies to my query on the FE126 in the BR enclosure. I've now completed a 'mock up' using MDF and (bearing in mind info regarding a long run in period that's required for these drivers) I'm pleased with the overall sound - very lively though as expected! I'll be trying a BSC filter shorty, as that generally seem's to be advised. At present I'm using a small piece of AcoustaStuff in each port to tame the treble a little!

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.