Fonken Materials

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy All,

I was shopping this weekend for parts/tools in preparation of building my first pair of speakers, the Fonkens. I got a screaming deal on several pieces of 3/4" BB ply but understand that the design calls for 1/2" material (excluding the baffle). I've searched through a number of threads but have yet to find out how big a problem the extra 1/4" is going to be. Do I need to go get 1/2" sheet or am I good to go with the 3/4"? Thanks very much for the advice.

~Charlie

DaveCan said:
I would reason that as long as you can keep all the internal measurements that the driver is loaded in, to exact spec, then it shouldn't matter how thick your ply is, except if it was real thin etc.... Dave :)

That's pretty much right Dave; "stretch" the panel sizes to allow for the extra 6mm / 1/4" per layer of material - except for the dimensions related to volume of the port slots. In other words keep the dividers at 9.5mm (3/8") and retain the height and depth as per plans.

The additional thickness is more than enough to change the resonance characteristics of the box, so it could well be worth the effort to attach the rear panel removable via cleats, allowing for adjusting of damping. It's certainly possible to overdamp an enclosure this small - and once it's fully assembled, internal access it very difficult (unless you're a dental surgeon)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.