FrugalHorn -> FE166?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rjbond3rd said:
Hi folks, in looking at the FrugalHorn plans, I'm wondering if the FE166E could squeeze in there. Baffle width is just under 7 inches, with internal width of 5.5 inches, and it looks like it could go in there, especially if a supra-baffle is used.

Has anybody tried that, or do you have any thoughts on what the result would be? Thanks in advance -- the FrugalHorn looks like a fantastic design.

How about given the 166 a try in OB as per the recent posts.. It may be too big, but you could flower it up and see if you can get it under the radar:D
Dave:)

Re: Re: FrugalHorn -> FE166?

REC1 said:
(my calculations based on carbon gasification using pine chips and endothermic process with the FT process(iron wool)...

Hi Ron, if you or even anyone half as smart is working on the energy problem, I am very optimistic.

DaveCan said:
How about given the 166 a try in OB as per the recent posts...and see if you can get it under the radar :D

Hi Dave, excellent idea! I just got three sheets of 4x8 foot plywood cut for BiB's, and there's enough left over for a couple OB's -- great idea, sir!

Re: Re: Re: FrugalHorn -> FE166?

rjbond3rd said:

Hi Ron, if you or even anyone half as smart is working on the energy problem, I am very optimistic.

No doubt there have been many brilliant minds working on this issue for much longer than it's been hip to do so.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that only when international energy cartels can manipulate the profitability to their satisfaction will any solutions see widespread application.

As with most dealers in addictive substances, whether officially sanctioned and taxed by governmental jurisdictions or not, their major concerns are not the COGS or "street price", but reliable supply and MARGIN on transactions.

More that a few conspiratorial theorists would posit that major international armed conflicts have been carefully engineered with far less at stake.

Re: Re: FrugalHorn -> FE166?

DaveCan said:

How about given the 166 a try in OB as per the recent posts.. It may be too big, but you could flower it up and see if you can get it under the radar:D
Dave:)
I tried the 166s in OB while I was building the Austin 166s.
The only thing good I could say about the OBs is that they did help break the drivers in...
The Austins sound so much better, there's just no comparison.
Robert :)

Re: Re: Re: FrugalHorn -> FE166?

serenechaos said:

I tried the 166s in OB while I was building the Austin 166s.
The only thing good I could say about the OBs is that they did help break the drivers in...
The Austins sound so much better, there's just no comparison.

Did you have any bottom support though? These guy's ain't just talking putting a 108,126,166,206 etc on a board unsupported by some low end drivers.... I don't doubt at all that the A166 is stellar, my comment was about the original intent of the thread.. Perhaps if you tried using the 166 in OB the way that is intended, or recommended, you may have a new opinion.. Myself I don't know I've never heard an OB set up, but many seem to really get into them, even those with the math skills and ability to make any kind of cab they want, makes me take notice!! Dave:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: FrugalHorn -> FE166?

DaveCan said:

Did you have any bottom support though? These guy's ain't just talking putting a 108,126,166,206 etc on a board unsupported by some low end drivers.... I don't doubt at all that the A166 is stellar, my comment was about the original intent of the thread.. Perhaps if you tried using the 166 in OB the way that is intended, or recommended, you may have a new opinion.. Myself I don't know I've never heard an OB set up, but many seem to really get into them, even those with the math skills and ability to make any kind of cab they want, makes me take notice!! Dave:)

Of course. :rolleyes: :)
The 166 has no bottom end on an OB without an added woofer. The bottom end sounded ok, I used a 15"La Scalla woofer & a pair of 18" bag end subs.
Don't remember x-over points, played around with them for a while (the usual shelf of caps & chokes & clip leads).

It was the mids & highs I never could get to sound right.
I read MJK, Linkwitz, etc., & built baffles accordingly.
Don't remember their size either, but it was around 4' high, with wings.
I saved 'em & screwed another board on to tried other drivers.
I did like the 108ESr-IIs better in the OBs, but like them a lot better in the Nagaoka Swans.

I got caugut up in the OB excitement & wanted to hear what so many people liked about them.
I still haven't heard it.
I listened to quite a few of them @ RMAF last year, including the ones in the Lowther room. I kept going back, knowing this must be something great, but I couldn't stay in the room, and the same drivers across the hall in FLHs sounded a world better...

I think some like the "open sound" & "increased sound stage" from the additional reflections bouncing off the back wall.
It sounds smeared and unnatural to me.
"Enhanced" means something was added to the recording.
Like extra reverb, after reverb of the hall, and in the studio.
YMMV

Thanks for your perspective Robert.. I guess as with all things in audio one has to try it for themselves, and most importantly in their own room... So far I'm still quite happy hanging out with my BiB's ,but when I start a build again I'll maybe give some of these designs a shot myself, and see what all the fuss is about like you have already done for yourself... Dave:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.