SOLO206 vs Kef iQ3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello everybody i really want to try the DIY experience but have got some questions...

I want to make a pair of FE206 in BLH (with the SOLO206 plan...)
But I never heard this type of speakers...
They wil cost 350-400 euros and for this price I can get a pair of Kef iQ3... which are the best ?? can they be compared ?...

Please help me ... :bawling:

PS: Sorry for my english i'm French...

Bonsoir Thieu974,

The Kef is a bass reflex design with a coaxial speaker anf the BLH with the FE206E is a horn therefore not the same league at all. The xover of the Kef is at 2.8kHz which is a sensitive area of the frequency spectrum. If you want high dynamic then go with the horn.

Another choice is to look into building a half-chang with the 206E, it has received great review on this site. Also using the 206E is the FE208Esigma horn seems to be a very good choice.

Salutations,
Eric

Thank you for all your responses...

I know that the horn and the Bass Reflex is not the same thing but ... i didn't heard any BLH loudspeakers , that's why i'm asking me lot of questions ... :xeye:

I didn't heard any Full range speakers ... and i'm afraid to found the sound too "little" , too "narow" ... (sorry i don't find words to express myself in english... :( )

To which type of speakers can they be compared ?... is the sound sooooooo different betewn those speakers???

Hi there!

I have a pair of Kef Q1 speakers and i have also made a pair of BLH frugel horns based upon the 103e driver.

From my experience the Kefs have the advantage in midrange richness and ability to fill a room with sound. The dispersion is amazing - the uni Q technology really does work well with the older version of the Q range (Q1) using the polypropylene bass/mid driver.. unlike the newer version (iQ3) which uses a Ti driver (correct me if im wrong).

However, where the horns really do excell is with dynamics and micro fine details. I tried these horns out with a Class A tube amp and WOW - for the price - this is getting to the point of producing a freakishly realistic aural experience. with the whole 'wheres the speakers' idea.

But the horns are very fussy about placement, whereas Kefs are good anywhere.

I think it also depends upon your amp... I have a ROTEL RA-820A and my kefs sound way way better than the horns but with a tube amp... the horns are the real deal - probably due to the low damping factor of tube amps

Hope this helps

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thieu974 said:
They wil cost 350-400 euros

Including wood?

thieu974 said:
I'm french but I live in Réunion Island ... :p a little Island in the Indian ocean ... I don't know if Madisound deliver in this part of the world...

If they won't you can talk to me (i don't see why they wouldn't)... (althou i'm selling modded drivers)

You might also want to look at Sachiko... this Spawn design (frugal-horn site below) has been widely applauded

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.