Sealed bookshelf designs available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am quite ignorant with the loudspeaker design. But I have an idea of building sealed fullrange bookshelf speakers with no filter... is it possible? I am not needing very deep bass (for that I think a subwoofer is needed). But I am wanting very good sounding speakers that can make beautiful music like high end audiophile speakers. I would prefer to copy some one else's project. But I have not been able to find any sealed bookshelf designs. Is it a bad design?

I am wanting to have a more efficient speaker if possible (i know sealed is not most efficient). So I think Fostex would be better than Jordan. Is there any recommendations?

Sure you can do it, if you accept that they're likely to have very little grunt under about 200Hz at all. You're not giving us much to work on. How big? How expensive? How do you define 'beautiful music'? What sort of material are you planning on playing through them? What woofers will you partner them with & how high can they go effectively?

Size: Bookshelf. Speakers I have now I would call standard bookshef size. They are 13.5 litres (18cm x 25cm x 30). Edit: that is the external dimensions.

No budget, depends on performance and if it is worth the cost. Of course a less expensive design would be better if possible.

Beautiful music is every good quality that is desired such as an overall neutral and detailed presentation without the bad qualities such as harshness. But it should also sound musical and involving, not like a studio monitor.

I would hope they can cope very well with any music being played through them, but I tend to go for a refined and delicate sound that would be good for classical (although I don't really listen to any classical music). Does that make sence?

What woofers will you partner them with & how high can they go effectively? Not sure what you mean by this. Fullrange has single speaker not woofers and tweeters.

If they won't have much bass below 200Hz then I am starting to change my mind!

Sealed designs are very forgiving and almost impossible to screw up. Get WinISD and model up some boxes. Just make sure the driver you pick gets low enough to cross over to a sub. I like to keep the XO point below 100Hz. You will likely want to add a BSC as well.

I've tried the FE127E and JX92S in sealed enclosures crossed to an active sub with very good results.

Cheers

Hmmm can you rig the active sub to get your BSC?

Should one use a sub's built-in high pass to roll off bass for the mains? Or just try to cross it in with the natural roll-off of the sealed box? Or build some external PLLXO or active cross? Is your plate-amp's cross secton of poor quality? Should (could) you mod it?

For your sealed box is a max-flat alignment best? Or something weirder? Sealed, max flat rolls of at like 6db/octave, right? What slope does your average plate amp have for it's cross? Is sealed even best for this application? (I'm looking at you, fonken...)

2 subs or 1? Close to the mains, or tucked in a corner?

Given lumpy in-room bass response, does any of this matter?

I'll bet you can just jump in and get some solid results, but I look forward to seeing what happens when Nelson brings his resources to bear on the issue.

PS - as far as Fostex go, my FE167s are very interested.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alas, the sub does not to much for BSC. My preference is for active
BSC, but in these cases passive seems more appropriate and solves
one other problem.

(2 subs, but you can get by with 1)

The Fostices :) are FE166e, so your FE167's will fit right in.

I have been letting the box/driver character form the high pass
rolloff for the FR so far, but that could alter, I suppose.

The results have been quite good. The Velodynes I bought at
Fry's for $129 each are a pleasant surprise.

Anyways, I'll kick this out the door soon (low hanging fruit).

:cool:

Here is where I have gone so far with the JX92S, sealed 0,25ft^3.

http://diyaudioprojects.blogspot.com/2008/07/diy-sealed-jordan-jx92s-bookshelf.html

You can let if roll off naturally and bring in an active sub at ~60Hz. It works well enough. Active XO is obviously better.

It goes low enough that one sub is fine.

The nickle screws look stupid. I will change them with the next box iteration (likely aperiodic).

Attachments

• jordan-jx92s-sealed-loudspeaker.jpg
    jordan-jx92s-sealed-loudspeaker.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 920
Quite interested in Jordan design

Nelson Pass said:
I have a series of short articles coming up called:

Jordan-in-a-box

All dealing with full range drivers mounted in small
sealed enclosures and attached to cheap commerically
available active woofers.

Nelson Pass said:

Anyways, I'll kick this out the door soon (low hanging fruit).

:cool:

I now have everything to make the JX92s monitor with tweeter that Jim G designed but am interested in this as well - you can never have too many projects lined up.

thanks for this Nelson - I look forward to it.

Leonard

Re: Re: Quite interested in Jordan design

AdamThorne said:

My wife would disagree... :xeye:

That's why I store things in the lab at work.

She does however raise her eyebrow at the two (unworking) turntables on top of my bedroom dresser.

back on topic: if the jack in the box article came out while the jordan sale were still going on, that would be a fortuitous turn of events.

Nelson Pass said:
All dealing with full range drivers mounted in small
sealed enclosures and attached to cheap commerically
available active woofers.

I have something similar already commercially available.

Full (extended) range drivers mounted in small sealed enclosures, helped a little by tweeters and attached to active woofers.

Blue Sky EXO 2.1

How do they sound? Good to me, and to some consumers found on the net.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.