Help with a full range project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have been looking around for options for some decent full range speakers that are fairly small to bring with me to school in the fall. Last year I found some big loudspeakers at a thrift I used, but there just too big and loud. So my question is What would you all recommend for an enclosure and drivers for me, my setup would be a low powered tube setup for vinyl and flac's off my pc or maybe a Pioneer sx-450 instead of the tube amp (not sure if I want to risk my Scott at school). I tend to like warm and will listen to a varity of music from classical to jazz to metal, so nothing to specific in sound staging. Thanks for any help, Nick

Hi there trower,

How about 3 or 4" fullrange or coaxial speakers made from PMMA?
( plexi glass acryl, well you know )

you can also use plywood, also relativly light, and because the internal panels it can be quite thin.

I have some plans for a 30 and a 50 CM high double folded TML housing, tested and trialed and i think they sound super sweet.

Photo shows a 1" made from Glass. this is Cute, but 1" is really too small to get any propper sound.

if you want i can help you buy 2 / 3 / 4 fullrange speakers, 3 and 4 are coaxial.

Greetings,

Arjen

Attachments

• mini tml small.jpg
    mini tml small.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 407
I have two good suggestions, but there are lots of good smaller designs with full range drivers. Jordan's in a small ported box probably being the ultimate small full range driver in a small box - tho i never heard it before. It's probably one of the most expensive too.

These are cheaper designs but still very much up there in terms of performance.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/fostex-127e-slotted-box.htm

This is a bit smaller than the reference project and may be lighter in the bass. Bass sounds pretty good to me with these up against the wall. No tweeter needed IMO on this one. Sound is slightly forward with tube amp, even more forward with solid state. I would say build this only for tubes. Just my opinion.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/tb-1320-bamboo.htm

The Tangband can go into a pretty small box and still sound full. This design sounds warmer than the above Fostex but is less efficient. Sounds great with tube or solid state. IMO this driver should have a tweeter. I used a cheap piezo on the rear but it could go on the front too. Just about any tweeter will work.

Both drivers cost about the same and i personally feel these are two of the best values of full range drivers regardless of price. They sound different but each has its good points. Either one will light up the room with sound. My advice would be to go with the Tangband if you may be using solid state amp. But it's up to you.

Enjoy school!
Godzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.