Hello. What would you do with set of Pioneer PE-12's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am not really a DIY'er although I admire you who are. I am more a fixer of simple things and a 60's-70's audio afficianado. But I have a set of Pioneer PE-12's, and my search for info lead me to this forum. I bought them this weekend at an "historic" yard sale. That's what the ad in the paper said. They came in a pair of CS-51 speakers with impaired tweeters, but the PE-12's sound great.

Any ideas about what to do with them? I could probably handle building some OB cabinets or I could certainly replace the tweeters if the cabinets they are in can't be improved.

Thanks...

Attachments

• 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 172
Are those sealed cabs? If so, that woofer might be good on OB. I'm kinda biased, but that's the first thing I would do . . . just transfer the whole thing, drivers, crossover, etc. onto a simple baffle, maybe just some scrap cardboard you have hanging around, and see how it plays. If you like what you hear but just need more grunt, maybe grab a couple of cheap Goldwood 15"ers and a plate amp or two (something with an integrated, variable low pass filter) to fill in the bottom octave or two).

Let us know how you go with those. The back of the woofer, at least, looks pretty nice.

Kensai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.