mikasa/spawn family/frugal horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2008, 04:23 AM   #1
lornie is offline lornie  United States
diyAudio Member

Default mikasa/spawn family/frugal horn

I am expecting to build the mikasa speaker and power it with the sonic impact t-amp. I would like to hear from others who have built the mikasa.....

what is your experience with this enclosure? what can I expect?

thanks, Lornie
Old 14th June 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It makes no sense to power Mikasa -- a spawn that uses the very expensive & revealing Feastrex D5NF -- with the Sonic Impact.

Another problem is that Milkasa plans are not public. 2 Pair exist & a 3rd is under construction.

Are you really wanting to build one of the other spawns.

dave
Old 14th June 2008, 04:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default mikasa..... maiko

Hi.... I looked at the Maiko, but the Mikasa still has my heart...... using perhaps a Fostex FE 126 speaker, not a Feastrex. Or a Merril DCA4 speaker..... The Mikasa enclosure looks 'right' to me....
Anyone have any experience with this cabinet??

Thank you
Old 14th June 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Mikasa may look right to you, but it was designed for a certain driver, not the 126 or ?. But you could buy the plans?, stuff a 126 in it or?, and enjoy yourself if you could stand the sound?. But hey, at least it would look pretty
Dave
Old 14th June 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: mikasa..... maiko

Quote:
[
The Mikasa enclosure looks 'right' to me....

Thank you

Like P10 just said, there are two pairs out there and one under construction. And if the owners chime in and tell you how they sound with the Feastrex D5nf drivers you'll really think they are "right", then you go stuff in your 126 or ?, and think everyone is deaf or something

FeastrexClick the image to open in full size.

Fostex Click the image to open in full size.

Dave
Old 14th June 2008, 07:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmmm in some old archives at diy it would seem there was(is) a Mikasa for the 126 http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-070707.pdf
Dave
Old 14th June 2008, 09:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default mikasa...... please, not the maiko

Hi.... I hope we are talking about the mikasa enclosure....which was designed by S. Lindgren for the fostex fe126 speaker.....

after reading (post 2) from planet 10, I searched the forums for Feastrex D5NF and found planet 10 describing a proprietary Maiko cabinet.....(2 pair exist & a 3rd is under construction...etc)

Does anyone have any experience with the Frugal horn/Spawn family/Mikasa cabinet?

?? Lornie
Old 14th June 2008, 09:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think the first Dave being off his game today ,helped lead the second Dave(me) also outta touch, into the oops I should have minded my own beeswax territory. Dave, it's the third planet with all the good air, water etc not the 10th
Dave
Old 15th June 2008, 03:08 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: mikasa..... maiko

Quote:
Originally posted by lornie
Hi.... I looked at the Maiko, but the Mikasa still has my heart...... using perhaps a Fostex FE 126 speaker, not a Feastrex. Or a Merril DCA4 speaker..... The Mikasa enclosure looks 'right' to me....

Thank you

My bad... i bet my comment was confusing. there are so many Spawns even i get confused. When you said Mikasa i thought Maiko. Not many Mikasa either, but, at least aesthetically one of my favorites. Saburo seems to have caught more people's imagination.

dave
Old 15th June 2008, 03:10 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
The Mikasa may look right to you, but it was designed for a certain driver, not the 126 or ?. But you could buy the plans?, stuff a 126 in it or?, and enjoy yourself if you could stand the sound?. But hey, at least it would look pretty
Dave
Mikasa was designed for FE126, and the context of the Silicon Impact makes a lot of sense with that. If it is the original SI, you'll need to do the cap mod to get all the bass Mikasa is capable of... a bit upscale from the SI, if you haven't gotten it and have the budget is the KingRex.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!