which design should I chose? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2008, 03:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default which design should I chose?

hi,

as I've previously written I finished my darling amp couple of days ago and now I'm thinking about building speakers that would go together well. I have read lots of topics on this forum and I have decided to make one of the projects form frugal-horn.com of the chang family. My listening room is pretty small, about 20sqm so I think I should choose either chalf changs or half chili-changs.
I've checked both fe167e and fe207e and they're high efficiency speakers so should be perfect for 3/4W a channel. However, if less than a watt is be not enough I'll build another amp as soon as I get proper OTs.

Now, what do you think about chalf changs and half chili-changs? Which one should I choose? Any other projects that may be suitable for that application?

cheers,

m.

ps. I really like the Freddie Chang, but price of the driver is too high, could I use any other one?
Old 12th June 2008, 02:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: which design should I chose?

Quote:
Originally posted by kalinowski
Now, what do you think about chalf changs and half chili-changs? Which one should I choose?
The FE207E looks like it has one decibel of efficiency compared to the FE167E, on paper anyway. But some say the 6" drivers sound a little smoother overall in the mid's and high's. I don't know! I'm only responding because nobody else has. Congrats on your new amp.
Old 12th June 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: which design should I chose?

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd

The FE207E looks like it has one decibel of efficiency compared to the FE167E, on paper anyway. But some say the 6" drivers sound a little smoother overall in the mid's and high's. I don't know! I'm only responding because nobody else has. Congrats on your new amp.
Efficiency is a red herring. Efficiency is usually quoted at or above 1000Hz, up where it will have to be rolled off for BSC or balancing the top end. If you are using anything but a true horn, you need to look at the efficiency at the mass roll-off point -- 300-500 Hz normally. That's the effective efficiency of a driver.

Ref FE167E vs FE207E: The 167 has better detail and top end. The FE207E has better presence and snap to drums, string bass, etc. Right now, today, my preference is for the FE207E and a tweeter. I reserve the right to change that opinion at a moments notice.

Bob
Old 12th June 2008, 03:54 PM   #4
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: which design should I chose?

I reserve the right to change that opinion at a moments notice.
Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

I thought only the lady of the house was allowed to do that
Dave
Old 12th June 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: which design should I chose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines Right now, today, my preference is for the FE207E and a tweeter.Bob
Howdy Bob, what do you like about the tweeter vs. a comparable boost from your digital EQ? Also, just out of curiosity, how high do you cross to the tweeter?
Old 12th June 2008, 05:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: which design should I chose?

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd

Howdy Bob, what do you like about the tweeter vs. a comparable boost from your digital EQ? Also, just out of curiosity, how high do you cross to the tweeter?
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the FR plot of the FE207E in my LT-2000 MLTL. What you heard at LSAF was the FB-20 BR, but the top end is identical.

Note that on axis, the 207 doesn't need any help. The problem is that I normally listen at ~15deg off axis. That trace falls off rapidly after 4k Hz. I use a 1uf cap to roll in the tweeter. EQ really won't help much here. Bringing in a tweeter up there fills in the top end off axis. As so note that you probably don't want the tweeter pointed the same direction as the 207. I usually wind up pointing the tweeter at a back corner. The splash fill in the "air". Don't worry about phasing or time alignment. Once the wave length gets substantially smaller than the distance between your ears, it dosn't make any difference.

Bob
Old 12th June 2008, 09:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob, hey thanks for that! I'm going to try the tweeter thing. (I'm listening to the sweet sounds of Norah Jones on your LT-2000's as I write this.)

In light of what you've noted on efficiency, do you think there's much difference between the FE207E and FE167E in terms of efficiency for Mr. Kalinowski's .75-watt Darling amp?
Old 12th June 2008, 09:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

When you only have a 3/4 watt spud amp at your disposal, IMO you need all the efficiency you can get, even if it's only a db or so.
Old 13th June 2008, 08:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

thanks for all your replies, i think i'm going to stick to half changs if you advice so, will report about progress

Hide this!Advertise here!