Fostex FE107E as Center Channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this may sound kinda crazy, but I've been thinking about building a Center Channel speaker with one FE107E. I've got a very small room and it's for a 22" inch HDTV. Currently, I'm using some cheapo radio shack speakers as tht L-R-C.

I'm thinking that if the Fostex center channel works out, then I'll build the left & right speakers also. I've got a powered sub and I'm using a Pioneer home theater amp.

Any thoughts on how the FE107E would sound as a center channel? Space is a premium, so I'd be using the 6 liter bass reflex box modified to fit above the television.

All comments appreciated.

BTW, I used to be a hardcore audiophile - hybird amps, air-bearing turntables, etc. Now, I'm just reduced to this..... :)

hmmm......................

Having experience with a 3" speaker (tang band w3-871s), I'd say...................

low volume (low spls) but extreme intelligibility, which is a plus.

But modulation distortion can/will be a problem.
When bass hits, voices will distort, maybe even on shouting.

Do you already have a 107e in a box ?
If you do, put it as a left or right speaker, put receiver/preamp set to front speakers small. If you like what you hear, it'd make a fine center.

And 3 of the same speaker across is the best/only way to go in my book.

And I hope it is in a small/medium room (you not sitting more than 10' away anyway).

I think you'd have a very good sounding but low spl home theater and never wonder what the actors are saying.

They probably won't impress your friends and won't be much fun watching "Starship Troopers". But you will never back it up to see what someone is saying, and understanding mumbles and brutal foreign accents will be a breeze.

I've thought of running something like this as I'm not 22 anymore and don't need cerwin vegas turned up to 11.

box size? Unsure. Probably go sealed and stuffed so as not to bottom out the driver.

Based on what I've read, I'd go for the peerless vline 10-04 driver roger russel uses in the ids-25 array ($30, copper cap on pole piece that reduces distortion and inductance) or the tang band w4-1320sd 4" bamboo ($50, neo magnet, cast frame, and copper shorting ring). Fostex can have some nasty peaks, but the 107e looks the smoothest according to their graphs.

Norman

GM

Joined 2003
Assuming the 22" refers to its screen width then this implies a max of ~39.6" seating distance before the advantage of HD dissipates or a two person wide viewing arc and a ~22.9" L/R speaker spacing. As narrow as this layout is, even a 3" 'FR' driver beams too much to be a good center channel (CC) driver, so one of those tiny car audio tweeters capped off to suit added to all three front channels is desirable unless all who are likely to listen is age/whatever hearing impaired. If so, then it probably would be a waste of $$ for movie soundtracks, though multi-channel music may benefit.

As the viewing distance increases, the driver's beaming becomes beneficial, negating the need for a super tweeter, though even up close a second 107 is desirable for each front channel to fill in the 1.5 - 2.0 octaves above the 80 Hz XO to the LFE channel since movies have its highest power (SPL) demands in this BW. Of course this 'fill' driver needs to be rolled off above the baffle step point, so a bipolar layout with heavy damping on the back to acoustically roll it off is what I recommend if its depth doesn't push the front driver over the screen edge any obvious amount. The box will ideally need to be made at least enough bigger to offset the extra driver's volume displacement, but just tuning it lower may suffice.

With all this in mind, you may want to search for drivers better suited overall, such as oval car audio co-axes.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.