desktop TL with 3" driver (with real bass) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2012, 10:45 PM   #41
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The desktop TL with the A5 does have less bass than this one.

here is the sim for the A5 desktop TL, in line with your listening impression, ~4dB lower output below 100Hz
Attached Images
File Type: png Alpair5 DesktopTL simulatie frequentie response.png (3.9 KB, 570 views)
Old 10th January 2013, 05:20 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Dear Henkjan, I made a quick pair of your upright desktop TL's out of paper board using the Tangband W3-926SDF. They're fantastic! I used my digital EQ to approximate 3db of baffle step and they sound great. I will definitely be making a pair out of real wood as soon as I can. Thanks so much for the awesome design!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desktop TL 1.jpg (868.9 KB, 504 views)
Old 10th January 2013, 06:05 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

im surprised the A5 doesnt go as low as others, due to its Qts and despite the higher Fs. I trust the sims, just a little surprised. In nearly 9 litres WinISD shows extension to ~60hz, although ive not tried a box of that large a volume. Is there a clear reason why this so in the desktop TL?
Old 10th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
im surprised the A5 doesnt go as low as others, due to its Qts and despite the higher Fs. I trust the sims, just a little surprised. In nearly 9 litres WinISD shows extension to ~60hz, although ive not tried a box of that large a volume. Is there a clear reason why this so in the desktop TL?
maybe one could make a TL design that enables it to go lower, but 60Hz is already pushing the limits of the A5 far beyond what Mark designed it for. The sim I showed for the A5 is in another enclosure as this one here

Last edited by Henkjan; 10th January 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:31 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Henkjan, I am fairly amazed at how good the bass is on this speaker, especially given that you have extended the bass to 1/2 the Fs of the driver. Do you think that a scaled-up version of the same design would work for larger drivers? I am trying to imagine how big this cabinet would have to be to be tuned to 35hz or even 30hz.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:52 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Henkjan thanks for the reply.

I was not criticising the TL in any way, i should add.

With the A5 i was shocked at the bass output in a simple tube experiment and the amount of EQ i was able to apply. Of course this was at modest levels but even so i was more concerned about thermal stress than the excursion limits at around ten watts or a little more.
Old 10th January 2013, 04:56 PM   #47
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
Henkjan, I am fairly amazed at how good the bass is on this speaker, especially given that you have extended the bass to 1/2 the Fs of the driver. Do you think that a scaled-up version of the same design would work for larger drivers? I am trying to imagine how big this cabinet would have to be to be tuned to 35hz or even 30hz.
Chaz,
You can get the lower tuning way past the Fs for drivers with a moderate to high Qts. A similar, but simpler cabinet is the well-regarded TABAQ which is able to get 55 hz out of a 3 in driver and has a flatter response on the sim in MJK. The TABAQ has been scaled to 4 in 5 in and now 8 in drivers with success (8 in is on paper only as the builds have not been done yet - see the WIBAQ thread). The design is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...9-inch-top.pdf
The Betsy K in the TABAQ is supposed to go to 35 Hz and is 45in full length - that can be folded for an approximate 2 ft tall cabinet.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...-k-wibaqv2.jpg
Old 10th January 2013, 09:28 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
yep, I dis a scaled up version for the CSS EL70, tuned at 45Hz:

desktopXL.jpg

EL70 DesktopXL sim.png
Old 10th January 2013, 09:37 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default Folded TABAQ - 3" Desktop with bass

Hi

The folded version of TABAQ has very good bass performance with the 3" TB.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ%2...et%20build.pdf

PS: You can mount the driver in the middle of the baffle it you like.

Hi from
Bjorn

Last edited by Bjohannesen; 10th January 2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Driver location
Old 16th January 2013, 03:14 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, I did a quick test of my foam board desktop TLs using a frequency sweep. There was clean, clear bass down to 40HZ, maybe even lower, before there was significant rolloff. This is an awesome design!! I cannot wait to make a proper pair. The results could only get better and better.

Hide this!Advertise here!