help! dented my fx120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my clumsy self has dented my beloved fostex fx120. what can i do? sleepless nights here...

thanks,

Attachments

• spkr2_lg.jpg
    spkr2_lg.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 544
I fear you will have to remove the dust cap and glue a new one in.

Here in California, there's a company called Dent-Pro that has done wonderful things for door panel dings on friends cars. (me I collect them like trophies) They might have some tricks to pull that dome out.

The worry is overstressing the compliant surround & spider which is why surgery with a sharp blade may be kinder.

audiothings said:
my clumsy self has dented my beloved fostex fx120. what can i do? sleepless nights here...

thanks,

If you can find a piece of rubber hose, you can try to suck the dent out carefully by mouth.
I've even heard people claim that a vacuumcleaner can be used, as long as you are able to reduce it's power.

Good luck.
Ebbe

The other option if you are really careful is to use some sticky tape to stick onto the dome and try to pull the dust cap out that way.

Need to be careful though and hold the cone with the other hand, if it feels like you are putting too much pressure on the cone/dome then try something else.

Just had to do the same after my little boy put a dint in one of my brand spanking new FE138ES-R's :( - time for me to make a removable grill to keep little fingers away!

Again good luck.
Ian

Re: Re: help! dented my fx120

Originally posted by es44 I've even heard people claim that a vacuumcleaner can be used, as long as you are able to reduce it's power.[/B]

Here's my cautionary vacuum cleaner tale. A few weeks ago, I cut a port hole in an existing box, and when I put the vacuum hose inside the port hole (to get out the sawdust), whoosh! The paper cone on the nearby tweeter disappeared in an instant. I was left staring at the tweeter's naked basket and magnet. Oops.

Iain McNeill said:
actually, I should have said:
if you can live with the hideous sight of your deeds then do nothing. I doubt this has much effect of the speaker performance.

Unfortunately, this type of driver generally relies upon a slightly decoupled dustcap as a dome radiator to extend the frequency response. Suggestions are good, but make sure you give it a good listen, and if you can hear the difference between damaged and undamaged units....

you may have to pony up. OR damage your other unit similarly)

Since this is a dustcap thing I would ask Scottmoose or Planet 10 Dave
what options there are for a phase plug. Installing one of their custom phase plugs would restore the aesthetics (no reynolds wrap look on
the front) and possibly turn a lemon into lemonade.

The best of the suggestions is to listen in a/b test mode of both your units and if no audible difference is noticeable, leave well enough alone.

trouble is...

that thin metal dust cap is where your high end is comming from on that driver. Take it off and buy a tweeter. That would probably be a good option just so long as you know that you will need the tweeter.
Twisted man with a deformed hand says "oh god please make one hand like the other" poof both his hands are now deformed! Be careful what you wish for like they say. Break em both, I had to laugh at that suggestion.

Since this is a dustcap thing

ok. since i am down many drinks i will ask one stupid question which will reveal exactly where i am... please forgive me you guys who know what the scene really is.

what exactly is (was) the shiny thing i just screwed up? was it a mere dustcap? somehow i thought it would make a difference to the high frequency dispersion within the room... please correct me! or tell me it makes no difference :)

That shiny aluminum thingy is the dust cap to prevent things from entering the motor. If it attached to the cone, that's about all it does with the exception of a little more high end extension. If it is coupled to the coil, it will extend the high frequencies like a pseudo tweeter. I don't know that driver and the pic is so small as to not help identify, especially with these old eyes.

One of my friends 'accidentally' dented one of my paper cones. I put a bit of instant glue on my finger and put it onto the driver. Then i gently pulled the dent out. Since you have contact with your finger, you can accurately pull the dent out.
I don;t know the english word fot the glue, but the translation from dutch would be "seconds glue"
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.