Controlling Vent Anomalies in Single-Driver Speaker Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, all.

I've returned with some more ideas for your consideration when it comes to designing an accurate single-driver speaker, specifically relating to reflex vents. I'm aware of two types of anomalies produced by reflex vents in general when in the presence of upper-midrange and treble energy. The first is re-radiation of any reflected treble energy that might be hanging out inside the enclosure (though my own design gives proper attention to damping material, with a layer of upholstery felt along every wall of the enclosure, and a layer of convoluted-surface open-cell foam on top of that, where it will fit).

The first problem, I plan to address with a layer of thin felt applied to the inner surface of the vent, at the end that protrudes into the interior of the enclosure, occupying a length of the vent equivalent to the diameter of the vent. This way, waves that are incident at an angle greater than 45 degrees (which might contribute meaningful transient smear as they reflect down the length of the vent) will be greatly attenuated.

To cut down on the amount of organ pipe resonance in the vent, I plan to cover the inside end of the vent with a piece of speaker grille cloth. Through this material, low-level quarter-wave resonances ought to be diminished, while the Helmholtz frequency of the box should overwhelm its resistive effect.

Do these two ideas seem grounded in established theory, or do you think they're merely wishful thinking when it comes down to decreasing the detrimental effects of reflex loading in the presence of a wideband driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.