Holy **** - beautiful response...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pretty graphs are one thing; sound in a system in your room is quite a different story.

For example, Fostex is well known for "optimistic" published specs, and the owners of many happy ears are either oblivious or ambivalent to the real world measures which are less impressive than these.

Scott,

Indeed, the bull**** stops when the green flag drops.

However, it could be somewhat realistic. Perhaps they simply engineered the peaks out of the cone by design. leaving them with an albiet mediocre overall efficiency (being that the cone is not made out of a very lightweight material).

When one is not going for balls out high efficiency, the job of making smooth response is easier.

It is the amplifier that gets to have a difficult time with the result.

I am like you: I would wait to hear what happens when the rubber hits the road in a real world living room or on a desktop.

All that said, I am always happy to learn of a small full range driver I did not previously know of. It is such a great genre, and so much can be done for such little cost.

I am personally holding onto my FE87 (not "e") for use in a super non pretentious open baffle desktop audio system. spectacular little things.

-Clark

phase_accurate said:
I asume they are not that hard to get at least in central Europe. I can't tell for the rest of the world however.

Well, I couldn't find them for sale in Europe or otherwise, even if you can't read the language, it's not hard to tell when a website is showing them for sale vs. just talking about them...

The new ones from Peerless (also Tymphany) seem to be nice as well, but I don't know whether they are officially available now:
<snip>
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/breit/peerless/peerlessFR2.html

I'd like to get my hands on a couple of those.
Scottmoose said:
First reaction would be to ask just how heaviily smoothed is that graph?

I don't think Vifa is known for doing that, I think their graphs are accurate mostly? (Not like the infamous Tang Band, which seems to use people from the marketing dept. rather than engineers to make their graphs)

Doesn't look a bad little unit though, although sensitivity is mediocre.

Well, if we were to use it on our desks as a PC speaker a cheap little T-Amp would even have enough power for pleasant volumes...

chrisb said:
pretty graphs are one thing; sound in a system in your room is quite a different story.

Sure, but, it's a small driver so good dispersion, goes low enough to use with a small subwoofer, seems like it would be a good candidate for GREAT desktop/"PC" speakers, say, a tiny MTM w/a 3/4" rear mount tweeter?

For example, Fostex is well known for "optimistic" published specs, and the owners of many happy ears are either oblivious or ambivalent to the real world measures which are less impressive than these.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.